Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:25 am   

CMUD 1.01 Beta Released

OK, I couldn't bare to read all of the posts about so many horrible bugs. I at least wanted something people could *use* during my vacation. And the more I read, the more annoyed I got that the 1.00 version was so messed up.

The main issue that concerned me was the inability to load MUD settings and the inability to save changes. This makes it almost unuseable. One of the beta testers sent me his *.MUD file to play with (thanks edb!) and I decided to go ahead and take a look at it.

I am *not* going to release any more quick-fixes. Chiara is forcing me to take vacation, but she allowed me to do some more work tonight to try and see if I could get CMUD a bit more useable.

So here is what I think I fixed:
  • MUD files should load now. At least the test file that I have seems to work now (and it didn't before).
  • Changes to settings should save now
  • Changes to preferences should take effect and should save
  • Button toolbar locations are available. A new Button tab in the User Interface preferences lets you change the 4 toolbar locations, and the Toolbar option in the Button Appearence page tells you what toolbar the button is on. I went ahead and fixed the button stuff because that was a major part of the sample file that I was testing, and tracking down stuff like the default button size really helped me figure out why preferences were not saving.
  • The crash error "Incorrect token followed by ":"" should now be fixed.

Note that if you get a "SQL Error: file is encrypted or is not a database." error, that means a PKG database file is corrupted, probably because of a previous crash. There were some SQL errors in 1.00 that could cause a crash to not finish a transaction, leaving the SQL database corrupted. So in these cases, try deleting the PKG file.

Even if you are opening a MUD file, if there is a PKG file with the same name, CMUD tries to look at it and can give this error if it's corrupted. Delete the PKG file and then the MUD file should load and recreate a new PKG file.

I'm not saying that 1.01 is useable, but it should be a *lot* better than 1.00 when it comes to MUD settings. At least this should allow people to do a bit more "real" testing.

Sorry again for the crappy first version. But now hopefully I can relax on vacation knowing that it might be a bit more useable. With 1.00 in the state that it was, I wasn't going to get any sleep.

Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Zugg on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:35 am   

I really appreciate the work zugg.. really.. You have done really well dont let the posts get you down. This is what beta is all about. And you have a public beta at that instead of closed betas. I am part of many of both and thats one of the major differences.

Its a good thing even if it seems a bit overwhelming
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:44 am   

Thank you Zugg, I for one appreciate all of you're efforts. Thanks for taking the time to squeeze out 1.01 before your vacation.

Now go take a few days off... by the time you get back we'll have identified everything. Very Happy
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:48 am   

wonderful little bit of patch work. It is now at the very least useable as a mud client. I'm slowly re-adding various pieces of scripting to see what does and does not work.
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:49 am   

Don't worry about 1.00. When you're building something you get used to using it in the way it's meant to be used - it's when you let it loose on users who click where they're not supposed to that things go wrong ;)
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:49 am   

ALL YOUR BUG BELONG TO US!
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:41 am   

Good work with it Zugg, I was quite wowed over by the appearance when I first loaded it up. Lovely slick interface. You've spent long enough trying to get the first beta out, so take a break and have the holiday :D No-one here can begrudge you that. Enjoy yourself!
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:44 pm   

Thank you for the patch, Zugg.

Now Chiara, get him away from all of us. He needs the rest.

:)
LazarusSnow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:25 pm   

Thank you Chiara. Good work Zugg, CMUD looks amazing, i especially love the docking system already. Im sure more will stand out as I tinker with it more though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: