Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:10 pm   

Creating a new character for the same Mud

I've created a second character and I wanted to create a new icon and files for this new character by copying the files from the original one and renaming them for the new one. Unfortunately it isn't going so well and when I launch either one it only uses the login info for one of the characters no matter what setting I change (including login info).

What is the proper way to split off a new character like I'm trying to do?
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:59 pm   

Each char needs to have a differant layout file, edit the char properties for the addition char and change the name of the file use for layout
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:03 pm   

Pretty sure the login stuff is kept in the settings file. You can't just rename those files and use them for other characters. You instead must export the settings you want to share to text and then import them (or simply copy/paste from one window to the next).
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:32 pm   

In the Character screen edit each character and do the following. In the MUD tab make sure Host, Port, Title and Type are set identically for both characters, delete the Icon caption setting, make the Session ID setting unique I usually make it short and a mixture of the character name and mud name. In the Character tab put the name and password for each character. In the Files tab make the SubFolder setting the name of your mud and make sure it is set to this for both characters, make the Primary setting the name of your character with .mud on the end, copy the already existing .mud file in the directory and rename the copy to reflect this, do this for both characters, make the Inherited setting the name of your mud with .mud on the end, again doing the copy rename thing once in order to get the file. Now you have everything set correctly in the Character screen for your two characters. Log on both of your characters and open the settings editor for both of them you should be able to flick between each using ctrl-tab, in one of the editors choose File\Open Inherited. You now have three settings editors open and you should be able to position them on screen so that you can easily flick between them all just using the mouse. At this point you will notice that all three setting editors contain all the same settings. This next bit is the important part, in the <mud name>.mud settings editor decide which settings will be shared between the characters and make sure these settings stay here, delete the rest and save, in each <char name>.mud settings editor remove all the settings you decided on for the <mud name>.mud settings editor and keep all the settings that are related to this character and save. Now you have everything fully set correctly.

This is the proper way to do it and you should not have any issues. It may take some getting your head around at first but it works well especially when you remember that any setting you want the characters to share is got at using the File\Open Inherited and making and saving the settings there, settings unique to each character can be done in the way you are used to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: