Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
gbrumback

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:21 am   

Massive lag through Router.

I have a Hawking HWR54G Rev. M wireless router for my cable modem and home network. I seem to be having serious issues with screen freezes/lag through the router. If I disconnect it and plug my primary PC direct to the modem the lag disappears. But, then my other to PC's do not have internet access. The mud I play on uses port 6767 and I have tried setting that up as TCP and UDP in the special applications area of the routher config with no results. Anyone have any ideas on the matter or familiar with Hawking routers? I really preferred my D-Link, but it was not wireless and the hawking was given to me, so...
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:31 am   Re: Massive lag through Router.

gbrumback wrote:
I have a Hawking HWR54G Rev. M wireless router for my cable modem and home network. I seem to be having serious issues with screen freezes/lag through the router. If I disconnect it and plug my primary PC direct to the modem the lag disappears. But, then my other to PC's do not have internet access. The mud I play on uses port 6767 and I have tried setting that up as TCP and UDP in the special applications area of the routher config with no results. Anyone have any ideas on the matter or familiar with Hawking routers? I really preferred my D-Link, but it was not wireless and the hawking was given to me, so...

Is it secure? Can you tell if your bandwidth is being consumed by someone leeching on your network?

-Tarn
gbrumback

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:07 am   

Well, the wireless side is secure WEP and it only allows computers that I have selected to have internet and LAN access. The only computer selected there is my laptop. However, I don't think that is the problem anyway. If I DMZ my computer, it has no lag/screen freezes. However the other two do, and if I disable the DMZ the lag returns to mine. I can only DMZ one computer at a time, and I really don't like doing it as it opens up my computer past the firewall capabilities of the router.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:28 am   

Are you running peer to peer applications at all? Sometimes they hog all your bandwidth and flood your firewall with connect requests which makes connections laggy. When you DMZ a PC those requests are forwarded on without costly firewall rules meaning your PC (which has a faster CPU/more memory than your router) deals with them quickly in the background (or quickly gets infected by a virus, depending Wink).

You shouldn't need to set up any port forwarding rules to connect to a MUD - since it's an outgoing connection only - so your port 6767 TCP/UDP rule probably won't make a difference.

Run some constant ping tests - ping your router, ping your ISP's website, ping google, and ping your MUD to see if we can find a commonality in the laggyness.

If you're unfamiliar with the ping command start up a command prompt (in WinXP it's start -> run -> type 'cmd' and push enter). On the command prompt type 'ping -t www.google.com' or whatever address you want to check. Keep them open in the background so when you feel laggy on the MUD see what the ping tests are reporting and let us know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: