Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:29 pm   

That extra line

I think but I'm not sure you may have already mentioned this Zugg but I'm rubbish at searching this site.

For some reason there is always an extra line at the bottom of the mud output window that does nothing, or at least there is for me.

Are you aware of it, is it just me, if it is an odd problem are you removing it?
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:39 pm   

It's got to be always there since I just deleted the default.mud so that Esc at the char screen had no choice but to be a totally default mud window and it was there.
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:26 pm   

The extra line is usually caused by 2 things -
1) if your mud sends a linefeed after the prompt (I know mine does) ... you can tell if it's this by noting if your entered text (eg tell zugg hi) comes in on the blank line or on the same line as the prompt
2) as you resize your window up and down you will notice that the output has a growing black area at the bottom until there is enough room for another line to fit in and the whole output buffer jumps to fill it

In theory the way to deal with #2 would be to have the output snap to the bottom of the window and have a partially visible line up the top, but this is probably too much effort to bother with. You could make the mud windows resize in x pixel increments perhaps, but that can be kinda annoying too. So if it's #2 then it's more about windows than it is about zMUD... it should be noted that notepad exhibits the same behavior - if you resize it so that you're 1 pixel too short for a line, then it will appear like there is a blank line because the text can't fit there.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:38 pm   

Yeah, seen the same thing with all my windows, including child windows. I have tried all sorts of size tweaks to get more text to squeeze in but it seems that anything between 1 and just less then 2 lines worth of space will stay empty. As soon as you get the size right to have 2 lines worth it fills 1 and leaves the other empty. I did a quick test with #SHOWPROMPT and found the extra line to be there awaiting text. So perhaps we just have to live with it.

Along similar lines is the line spacing adjustment. The font and size I use allows for me to drop this down a bit to get an extra line or 2, but at the price of losing the bottow portion of letters to blank space that doesn't need to be in between the lines. Note the bottom part of the 'g's in my Channels window.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: