Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
adamwalker Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:11 pm
YAWL - Yet another wish list
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:02 pm   

We had a discussion of "unwrapping" lines from the MUD in another thread a while back and I already have some ideas on it. It's certainly not "trivial" or even "easy" to implement, but I think it will work pretty well. But since it's not part of the first beta version I'm trying not to get distracted by too much new stuff. It's on the list though.
Tornhelm
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:54 am   

Just noticed the %q bit there. Usually when I use %q at the end of the word, I prefer to be able to use {%q|s|'s|es} or something like that (especially when talking about people) to pick up all the instances of the name. The problem is - that it works fine if you are using a trigger for each name "%qZugg{%q|s|'s}" but if you were using something like "%q{@ColouredNames}{%q|s|'s}" then it wouldn't fire properly. Unless its just me coding badly, thats one feature I would like to see, just to keep things cleaner on my end than a class with upto 100 triggers for each and every person I need coloured.

Sorry if its hard to understand, just got off of night shift and wrote this right as I am about to hit the sack.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:23 am   

Why won't it fire properly? What's it doing for you? If it's not firing at all, then your problem is likely that you don't have the Use Wildcards in Stringlist Patterns preference checked. If this isn't checked, then %q is treated as a literal character and since none of your lines include the "%q" the trigger would never fire.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:06 am   

I have it checked now, not sure if I had it checked when I originally tried the trigger, next time I load a MUD I will test it again, but from memory it didn't pick up any of the other permutations like Zuggs or Zugg's either.
Tornhelm
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:10 am   

Ah just checked - it DID pick it up, but for example with the trigger line "%q{@PersonalEnemies}{%q|s|'s|es}" it would fire on any new line that started with an "s" highlighting that single letter.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:33 pm   

Another thing for the wishlist. Was reading what seems to be a common problem on the zmud forums - latest example is
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=23522

Where people are trying to match things across multiple consecutive lines that word wraps are making a mess of.

Perhaps have a trigger state that allows CMUD to automatically ignore line breaks and keep matching regardless.

So the trigger {Bob gives you a really odd look} with a 'Ignore Line Breaks' state enabled would then match

"Bob gives you a really odd look"

"Bob gives you a really odd
look"

"Bob gives you
a really
odd look"

as if they were all the same thing?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:49 pm   

This has already been mentioned in a couple other threads. Unwrapping lines like this is something that I'm planning for CMUD, but not in the first beta.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:21 pm   

i don't know if this has been suggested, but possibly when completing a {} or (), having the matching pairs of {} or () flash briefly so you know what is being encompassed.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:59 am   

Very minor request.

Would it be possible/feasible to assign macros to some extra keys - like shift-enter for example, I remember I posted it in the zmud forums ages ago and it wasn't doable.
I'm not sure what you're not allowed to assign them to at the moment, but if there's anything extra possible now with all the tweaks etc...
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:05 am   

And another (whilst I'm looking through old posts of mine)

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=75870

I asked
Quote:
Out of curiosity, I'd tried unsucessfully to have an expression trigger on %selword to enable/disable the speedmenus, but it never seemed to work properly.
Any idea why the matching text had to be put into a #menu command, rather than the expression trigger based on %selword?

Vijilante replied
Quote:
Expression triggers are checked on update of a variable. %selword and %selline are not actually variables and so do not cause the trigger to test or fire.

So question of course is would it be possible to allow triggers based on the value of %selword, %selline and other similar things that aren't variables exactly but might need to be treated as such.

The reason would be to allow simple context sensitive right click menus
vey2000
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:33 am   

So, I was about to suggest two possible ways, using regular triggers to add mxp menus and possibly using a convoluted set up of functions in the menu name, when I decided to check the old topic just in case. Looks like I was a bit late though. :P

I'm not sure how desirable it is to have triggers run every time %selword and %selline change, since in the worse case, depending on how it's coded, that could happen simply by moving your mouse, though most likely only when you click on the text. Though even in the latter case it seems a bit too much if most people use copy&paste more often than they use dynamic menus.

I have an alternative idea that may improve menus in general, though. Rather than having menu items and classes with an option to be turned into "submenu" classes, make the system closer to the new trigger system. You would have a base menu "group" item which would contain sub-items belonging to the specific menu items, or sub-"menu groups" for creating submenus. The menu "group" item would also have a script it could run whenever it was called, before the menu itself was created. This would alllow a wide range of possibilities for menus, from simply tweating a few settings whenever the menu is opened to creating an entire menu on-the-fly

So with this system you would simply write a script within the menu group item enabling/disabling whatever menu items/submenus you wanted.

If there were more than one menu group item, perhaps among several packages, it would just work like it does now and concatenate all the resulting menus into one menu.

Hrm, just did a bit of testing, and it seems %selword and %selline are only changed when you right-click, so my initial worry was probably unfounded, not to mention that it probably wouldn't affect speed much as long as there weren't any expression triggers for it. It still feels like it would be more of a kludge compared to my proposal.

Well, while I'm brainstorming this proposal, here are a few more ideas: have different types of menu items, such as regular, separator, checkmark, and option group.

On a tangent: I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned somewhere, but would the settings files be xml or some other human readable format?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:41 am   

settings files would be a database. .mdb or whatever the SQLite equivalent extension would be, or perhaps Zugg will just stick with the .mud or .zsc stuff he's been using.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:32 pm   

I'm hoping this wasn't suggested/mentioned elsewhere..I did a simple search for it on this forum but found nothing. Something I'd **love** to see is built-in support for minimizing CMud to the system tray. I currently use the system tray addon for zMud, but its extremely annoying in that it adds an additional icon to the system tray for each extra window (for logging chat and what not) that is open. Very, very, very annoying.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:18 pm   

I agree absolutely, Aleron.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:47 am   

The ability to minimize to the system tray is already implemented in CMUD. If the selected theme has a custom button for it, then there is a button on the caption bar. Otherwise you can always select the option from the system menu (click on the icon in the upper-left part of the window caption).

very2000, packages are stored in SQLite databases as MattLofton mentioned. However, when you are in the new settings editor, you can export anything you want to an XML file and also import from and XML file. This replaces the old "ascii export" from zMUD and is the only way to get human readable settings files. The old zMUD text export files are not supported in CMUD...you have to use the XML files.

%selword and %selline will *never* trigger updates. As vey2000 mentioned, that would cause bad performance as you type since the command line gets selected every time you press return. Same thing with expression triggers.

The way this kind of stuff is handled in Delphi is to have an event fire just before the menu it shown (like when you right-click on the screen). This gives you a chance to enable and disable any classes and menu items to handle context sensitive stuff. I'll probably handle this in a similar way in CMUD once the new event-handling system is completed. So then you don't need an inefficient expression trigger...you just handle stuff when the menu is about to be shown.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:54 am   

A sort button for variable arrays so i dont have to use the %sort function to order things.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:39 am   

Exporting to XML sounds very encouraging, should save on a lot of the old problems with the settings (corrupted mine when importing once... yet more reasons why regular backups are always good).

Minimizing to system trays is one of those nice features, but probably wouldn't use it too often myself, since I could see myself losing track of my character :P

The most exciting thing here to me is hearing about word (un)wrapping. My mud of choice, Lusternia, has a lot of spammy bits like tombstones of the dead lying around the place as well as shrine auras and elemental overlays on locations. My main problem from wrapping comes from trying to gag some of these because I simply didn't need to see them. Just could not get gag to work across multiple lines at all. Closest I could get was using #sub to replace it with blanks, but then that left some lines with only 3 words on.

The main issues I see with unwrapping are colouring, gagging, and of course simply triggering them at all. I came up with an idea that worked for some triggers (that I later saw on these forums) to enable a ^(*)$ trigger, save it to a variable, concat it, then parse it seperately (for long-line attacks mostly). Unwrapping will be a blessing for us all I think!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: