Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mo24
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:22 pm   

Database speed problem/bug?

I have a 6 line trigger script to put items in a database. I used it many times, and it seemed to be working good...

But now, it is not. It is adding many duplicates of database items for no reason. Most entries that are added to database scroll very fast on screen, with little delay. I think this is the problem. I put #echos in the script and it appears that either the %query to check for duplicates or maybe the #NEW to add new records is not processing before the next trigger happens. The result, is %query is returning no match for duplicates, even though there are duplicates in the database..

I also ran test to trigger the script using #echos.. if I spaced them #wait 300 apart they were added perfect with no duplicates. But when it is scrolling on screen there is no way to slow it down so this is not practical..

I don't understand this. The database only has about 300 entries. (well it numbers to 1100 but most of those were deleted...). My computer is very fast, and database file only about 25Kilobyte. Why is this a problem? Is there any way to fix it?
JQuilici
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:53 pm   

Well...it'll be hard to help you fix the problem without you posting (a) your script that is failing, and (b) sample MUD output that it should be operating on. Be sure to include prompts before and after, plus the command(s) that you are typing.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:36 am   

sorry, didnt think it could be my script, since it worked when the db was small, here it is.

MUD output like:
Code:
A Nilbog prisoner            Dungeon Cell
Nilbog cook                  Kitchen in Nilbog Camp

Trigger:
Code:

(*)   (*)

Code:

#DBONLINE
tname=%trim("%1")
troom=%trim( "%2")
#IF (%query( &Astr = %zonename AND &Mstr = @tname AND &Rstr = @troom) = "") {
  tvar=%item(%mapquery({Name LIKE '@troom' AND ZONEID LIKE '%zonenum'}),1)
  #NEW {} {Astr=%zonename} {Mstr=@tname} {Rstr=@troom} {Rstr2=@tvar}
}

%query is to test if there is duplicate in db, if none, it should add a new record. it tests for three fields.. fourth is room id not known, but gets it with %mapquery. I put #echos before query and #NEW to test all variables.. all is ok. the query just isnt seeing the records when input is spammed from mud.. it is lagging, only sees them all correct if the input comes slowly now that the db is bigger

I forgot to mention... when it first adds the duplicates, if i have db window up, it lists all of the db numbers of the duplicates as the same.. like
1051ar
1051ar
1051ar
It does this even after i refresh the db.. and only puts the numbers right after I close db and open it again.

oh and this is what I see if I do #echo k: %query(etc.) before the query in the code..
Code:

Spider Monkey Guard          The Hallway
k:
k:
k:

see, even tho it added the record in first instance of spider monkey, query still shows null for other two..
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:41 am   

It does seem like speed is the issue. Try using #PRIORITY like this.
Code:
#PRIORITY {
#DBONLINE
 tname=%trim("%1")
 troom=%trim( "%2")
 #IF (%query( &Astr = %zonename AND &Mstr = @tname AND &Rstr = @troom) = "") {
   tvar=%item(%mapquery({Name LIKE '@troom' AND ZONEID LIKE '%zonenum'}),1)
   #NEW {} {Astr=%zonename} {Mstr=@tname} {Rstr=@troom} {Rstr2=@tvar}
 }
}
I am not really sure if it will help since the full effects of #PRIORITY were never really explained by Zugg.

The other way to go about solving this is to have your triggers capture all the data into a list or record variable, then process it in a more leisurely fashion when no more is coming in. If this is the route that needs to be done we would need more mud output to determine start and end points for the capture.
mo24
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:52 pm   

Hi, it worked! well, so far at least. I will just have to see how it does when the database gets bigger, and maybe go from there.

Thank you

ps: is there a way to put the db list in order? my highest db number now is about 600 and anytime I add new items to database they are labeled 1100+ because of the ones I deleted. I don't know if this slows it down more or not....
JQuilici
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:08 pm   

The reason that the #PRI works (I think) is that some ZMud can continue to process MUD output while it is executing code. Thus, it's possible for a trigger to fire on a later line while a trigger is still executing on an earlier line. In practice, only a subset of commands actually exhibit this behavior - mostly the looping commands like #WHILE, #FORALL, etc. However, the query commands may also be in this set, because there is a (potentially long) wait while the DB code responds.

Putting #PRI around a block forces ZMud to finish executing the block before it examines any more MUD output. As your DB gets bigger, your queries may take longer to execute, which could cause a noticeable pause while the query executes. I have no wisdom to offer on how big the DB needs to be for that to occur. (anyone?)

As for the numbering - don't stress about it. The DB has an internal counter, and increments it for each NEW, so that the ID is always unique. It's not a reflection of the number of entries that the DB code has to examine. Also, there is no way that I know of to change the IDs of new entries.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:06 pm   

Yes i'm afraid i've found that out. It did not take many records before it started to slow down much more. I now have about 1800 records in database. Now that i've added more records to database, new records added are starting to go very slowly. At the rate of about one per 5 seconds and rising. Sad I am also starting to get lag with my separate script that queries the database too, but not so much. To query database for one item, it takes about 1 sec now.

I fear it will get very very slow soon. I estimate the database may get as large as 10,000 to 15,000 records. At this rate of lag, it will take 45secs to add one new record with above script, and as much as 10secs to get one record out of the database with %query, once the database is full....

Is there any solution to these problems? Vijilante mentions about capture data into a list variable, then process it when no more coming in. This may solve the problem of lag when adding new records, could you elaborate?

But Is there any way to speed up the single item queries too once database gets very big? Or is it just a fact of having such a big database, and nothing can be done.
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:53 pm   

Ever consider #WRITE 'ing it to a text file in a formated way then using %grep? I dont think you'll see much loss in speed with grep in a large text file (untested). But I've used it in the past with large success.

Might be faster.

You could have a child window with something like:

#ALIAS dowrite {#WRITE 1 {%-1}}
#ALARM *5:00 {#close 1;#file 1 mydatabase.txt}

I say a child window so you dont see the spam of the write/read text.

dowrite is only called if a %grep of the name/room is not found (ie no duplicates)
JQuilici
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:02 pm   

As I understand it, there's not much to be done at the moment. The DB module basically just manages a big flat file, so it doesn't scale all that well (as you're discovering). To get better performance, you need to get a real DBMS that can do indexing, caching, etc. involved (Access, SQL Server, etc.). In ZMud, the only way to do so is through moderately heavy COM programming (see ADO Programming in ZMud).

In the new CMUD, however, there apparently will be a brand-spanking new DB module, which will use ADO under the hood, so you won't have to jump through such hoops. See the "New Database Module" post in this thread.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:43 pm   

Hm I don't know about the %grep, it wouldn't be hard to test I guess ? I could make a script to go through database records and write them to a file. I will try that. But wouldnt you think the zmud database would be quicker, since its designed for lots of records?

While I was looking through search I saw this post, I was going to ask about it:
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20089

I would need to download MySQL to do a database? I have excel on my computer, don't have much else for a database. And then use COM like in the post? Do you think it would be very hard to do? I don't really do much scripting for the databases, just the simple script above and another to query it.
mo24
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:47 am   

This was a surprise. I changed my scripts over to use the file instead of database and it works almost 10x faster. Wow!

I copy pasted bunch of duplicate records into the file too, had almost 15000 total. With this many a single query to file took only 0.75secs, even less than the db query did with only 1800 records...

Still there is some lag but so much more better than the database now. It is less convenient not having GUI to use with it but for 10x the speed its a good trade. Thank you for the idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: