Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
icedsun
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:40 pm   

Menu items all turn grey!

After zMUD has been running for quite awhile, all my menu items at the top of the screen just turned grey! I can't click on any of them, but I can still click on all the buttons like Settings, Triggers, etc that bring up the settings window. What gives?
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:52 am   

Never heard of or seen that one before. I would suggest at that point you just locate yourself someplace safe in the mud, quit out, close and then reopen zMud.
icedsun
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:05 am   

That's what I ended up having to do - but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and if there was something I could do to prevent it from happening in the future. This is a clean machine running a fresh install of WinXP with SP2 and the only programs installed on it are WinRAR and mySQL. So I'd be hard pressed to know what could be causing it. Is there a slow memory leak in zMUD someplace that manifests itself in strange ways over time?
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:47 am   

Not directly in zMud, but it's not all that uncommon given Microsoft's track record. Zugg also uses several third-party components and it's probably those could be buggy themselves. Either way, these are things that Zugg usually has to live with rather than hunting down.
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:28 pm   

I know... but if it is the 'third-party components' that cause the bugginess, then I'm very disappointed. When you pay for a program, it is absolutely hurtful that the COPY PROTECTION built into that program screws up certain things for you. Here's a direct quote from Zugg about his software:
"... software that is driven to customer needs, and software that can change as needed to keep up with new technology and directions"
I fail to see the logic behind using a third-party component in zMUD with known issues that will affect the actual consumer negatively from time-to-time.
Anyhow, the problem had occurred again overnight and I noticed it when I came back to the computer this morning. So, had to quit, close out zMUD, and end the residual zMUD task using the task-manager. Otherwise, when you start up zMUD you'll get the loading dialog, but then nothing else comes up after that's done. (Another problem when zMUD has been running for awhile and you try to close it.)
Don't get me wrong: I LOVE ZMUD! It is by far the most versatile, powerful, and easy-to-use application that I know of. I've been a registered owner of zMUD for over 5 years and have never regretted the measly $30 it cost. I do, however, get disappointed a bit when it has these problems that keep popping up and I hope that someday they can be fixed. ie: keeping up with Zugg's software manifesto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: