Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Riot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:07 pm   

How can you turn off splitscreen permanently?

I want to turn splitscreen off entirely. If I move the splitscreen bar to the top I can no longer scroll. If I move he bar all the way to the bottom it no longer scrolls with newly added text but stays in place. I have to press the SS button to turn it off. In an old version of zmud (Not sure which I'm just getting into this again after five years) scrolling all the way to the bottom would automatically turn off split screen. I basically just want to be able to scroll up with my mouse wheel then scroll back down without SS automatically turning on.

Last edited by Riot on Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:31 pm   

There's a little button looks like a dash, (just about to the time and trigger indicators in the MUD window),that toggles the split screen... It's off by default so clicking it again should do what you need.
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:06 pm   

Control-Z might turn it on and off as well if you are looking for a shortcut.
Ziah
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:10 pm   

the two things suggested brings you back down to the bottom of the scrollerage, you can drag the screen downwards, though, to make it look like its not there... it is, but, yeah. :)
Riot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:54 pm   

You guys aren't following me. I know about the button and shortcut. Neither one of those will stop splitscreen from activating if I scroll up with the mouse wheel. They're just toggles to turn it on and off. So yeah I can use those to manually turn it off after it's activated but what I want is for it not to come on at all when I scroll. As for moving the bar down or up where you can't see it, If I move the bar to the top I can no longer scroll. If I move it to the bottom
I can scroll but when I scroll back down to the bottom it no longer syncs with incoming text but stays static until I manually turn off (using crt-z or the little button with the dash) splitscreen. I don't want it coming on at all when I scroll.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:40 pm   

Activate the splitscreen then drag it ALL THE WAY to the bottom.
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:03 pm   

There's no way to do this, simply because ZMud indeed DOESN'T resync the scrollback buffer with the live action. You can do the trick like Vitae suggested, but it still activates the scrollback and it too doesn't resync anything. Basically all it does is make the scrollback permanently on.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:00 pm   

Matt what do you mean by that it doesn't resync? I've seen live actions in the top and bottom at the same time.
Unless ya mean something else.
BTW: Zugg even said to do what I did :-)
Zugg wrote:
I don't have any plans to change the split screen function. The way to handle this is to drag the split bar to the bottom so that you don't see the live text. The fact that the scrollback stays frozen and doesn't unsplit when you scroll down to the bottom is something that I'll consider fixing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:57 am   

You guys ,excluding TonDiening and MattLawfton, really need to read the posts a bit closer before replying.

If you had actually read my posts you would know that :
a) I already knew about what you suggested
b) Dragging down doesn't turn splitscreen off just hides one of screens
c) Scrolling doesn't work correctly that way
d) It was not what I was asking for which was a way to turn it off permanently.

Do me a favor. Put the split screen bar all the way to the top now try and scroll with your mouse wheel or with page up/down. Now Put the split screen bar all the way to the bottom then scroll with your mouse wheel. Now scroll back all the way to the bottom. Notice how the SS button is still on? Now if any new incoming text happens the screen won't update but stay frozen because SS is still on. That is what I stated in two previous posts, the last line in that Zugg quote is, and what Matt is talking about.
I know you're just trying to help but please read the posts first.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:02 pm   

Sorry, i'll make special care to read your notes.
Hopefully they will all be as fully detailed.
Rolling Eyes
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:38 pm   

You cannot deactivate this feature. You can't do what you want to do. Best you can do is pull to the bottom and live with the fact that you'll have to Ctrl-Z or click the dash button, rather than scrolling back down, when you're done.
Riot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:15 am   

Theragil, MattLofton already established that for me. I was just attempting to clarify what we were talking about and end any further repetative posts.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:19 am   

Okay, then. So scroll back can't be deactivated, right? Is there a work around?
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am   

I don't believe so. It would take Zugg implementing an option.

Of course a change of mouse to one that doesn't have a scroll wheel is one answer but I don't think that is what is at the heart of this matter, obviously they find the scroll wheel useful in other applications just not when they accidentally hit it while using zMUD.

Personally other than accidentally activating scrollback I can't think of any other reason for not wanting it. On the other hand I think this issue will go away when Zugg makes the scrollback turn off when you've used the mouse wheel to scroll all the way back to the bottom of the scrollback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: