Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mo24
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:33 pm   

Toggling the Zmud window 'On top'

I have a script that scans for certain texts in the mud to trigger on.

Often, I do not have the Zmud window up 'on top', but am doing other things either on the computer or nearby. I can set a sound to play when these events happen, but I use headphones and often have them off. As a result, I often miss this event that periodically happens.

What I would like to do is, whenever this "text" in the mud triggers my script, I would like to have the Zmud window come visible and be the 'top' window and stay there until I switch to another window. This would be very useful for me.

How can I do this in Zmud, the latest version?

Thank you.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:58 pm   

Can't. The stayontop functionality that players get to work with via script is limited only to child windows within ZMud. Also, it's broken to the point that using the Stayontop feature doesn't actually bring the window to the front in dynamic situations (ie, using the #MAKEWINDOW command).
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:57 pm   

I have no clue how you'd do this, but couldn't you have the trigger execute something via windows COM or DDE or something to throw the focus of windows back to the zMUD window?
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:42 am   

That's very sad to hear Sad

I have no idea how I would do it with COM/DDE either? If anyone has suggestions please let me hear it.

This would be very useful for me to have. I can't count how many times I miss things in MUD because I am in another window when it happens.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:51 am   

>>I have no clue how you'd do this, but couldn't you have the trigger execute something via windows COM or DDE or something to throw the focus of windows back to the zMUD window?

I don't believe COM would expose the child windows outside of normal zscript access. I don't use COM though, so I can't say definitively. However, like I said, outside of the pushpin buttons the stayontop functionality is broken.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:08 am   

Well, my guess is that since you can access almost everything in windows through COM, there's probably a property somewhere that lets you set which open window has focus... I'm sure once someone with extensive COM/DDE/OLE knowledge reads this post they'll know exactly what you need to call to accomplish it. The basic Windows controls should be accessible to it... But then again I could be completely wrong - it happens often.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:55 pm   

Maybe try something like an Image window, its what I tend to use.
#ALARM +30 {#IM test.gif}

Depending on the severity of the issue, the graphic gets smaller or bigger.

That or use dual monitors ^_^
mo24
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:51 pm   

Yes, the image window seems to be a very good alerter for the script. Not as great as having actual Zmud window popup in my case, but it definitely does the trick.

Thank you! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: