Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
demingm
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:24 am   

Using scripts to upload ascii art

I'm trying to create a note on the mud I play, and I want to include ascii art in the note. Its your basic diku/rom note system that I think a lot of muds use, note + to enter one line of the note, and if I type note ++ it puts me in the note editor where I can add lines by just typing the text I want for each line and hitting enter. I have the ascii art in notepad, and it looks fine, but when I try to copy and paste it line by line it gets all messed up. I tried doing a multi-line paste and that didn't work either. I'm pretty sure there is a way to write a script and then import it through zmud, and have it still keep the correct formatting. I see notes with ascii in it all the time, and I know there is an easy way to do it, I just don't know what it is. Hopefully someone has experience with it and they can give me some tips. Thanks.
Dodgester
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:35 am   

When you did it in notepad, do you have word wrap turned off?

I have done similar things when I went onto TCZ "The Chatting Zone", and though their editor is a bit different, but still sounds essentially the same, at least as far as the enter key is concerned. I have tried using programs like Word, which does no good cause it just wraps things, but notepad can be setup to not wrap text. The only thing you have to do is put in the enter yourself, and that's where it helps by disabling the word wrap feature in notepad. Also, when you are using note pad, be sure you are using a font that uses fixed character length spacing, not a true font type font as those fonts don't generally use fixed length character spacing.

I used note pad to do a lot of my stuff as I did a lot of soft coding on TCZ a long while back, which made it much easier to use note pad than to use the editor itself within TCZ as it was kinda cumbersome to use online, but still got the job done. Also, be sure you pay attention to the limitations of the mud that you are using the editor as there could be such limitations like only 3KB per editor, which in that case, you can only have up to a total maximum number of characters of 3072 including any format codes that you may use for your ASCII art.

Sincerely,

Dodgester
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:44 pm   

by all messed up do you mean that it conains zmud characters that you haven't commented out?
does it contain an @ that you didnt make ~@?
I too have noticed that notepads copy paste can be flaky.
I've done it both with word wrap on and off, and at times a line will not be cut.
Not been able to figure out why exactly.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:48 pm   

Ever try the send command?

Syntax: #SE filename [prefix] [postfix]

or the zMud Editor? (control-shift-enter)
Dodgester
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:33 pm   

Interesting Vitae. I never had a problem getting notepad to send out the line breaks like it should be. The only thing that I would have to do, when I had special characters involved, turn off the special characters prior to sending. I know that can be a royal pain, if you do a lot of it and it's a site that you use both zmud's and their commands, but at least for the site that I did stuff on that involved using the editor, I didn't really use much zMUD's commands, if any. Therefore, the special characters for that site wasn't of importance for me.

Sincerely,

Dodgester
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: