Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Daffyd
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:07 am   

zTelnet Questions

From Zugg's New Year's message:
Quote:
You'll also see a zTelnet product that strips out the MUD-specific features of CMUD, and adds just the SSH features from the CMUD-Pro expansion into a separate product for the business market.

How much after CMUD Pro can we expect this? What sort of pricing? I'd really like to push for this at my work (over Reflection) but I don't want to set unrealistic expectations here. Any date and price you quote will be for my personal satisfaction only, at least until the product is much closer to release, and I understand that both will be subject to change without notice.

And as a footnote, you seemed very opposed to a business client some time back. I am very glad you have reconsidered.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:10 pm   

zTelnet should get released very soon after CMUD-Pro (which will be sometime late in the CMUD Beta period...summertime). Basically, both CMUD-Pro and zTelnet depend upon the SSH code that I plan to write during the beta period. Once the SSH is working, removing the MUD-specific stuff from CMUD to make zTelnet should be relatively quick and easy (especially since CMUD is more modular than zMUD was).

So, you should have a beta of zTelnet sometime this summer. For price I'm leaning towards $29.95 again (it adds SSH, but removes MUD stuff, so that makes it about the same as CMUD pricewise).

The reason I reconsidered the business client is because the SSH stuff seems like it's more of a possibility now. It used to be a licensing and export headache to deal with SSH, but a lot of those issues have been relaxed over the years. And without SSH, there wasn't a lot of reason to do zTelnet. Also, I didn't want something that I couldn't support (removing MUD-specific stuff from zMUD was going to be a support problem with multiple source code bases). With CMUD I should be able to maintain a single code base and easily support zTelnet and upgrade it along with CMUD as new stuff is added and bugs are fixed.

So, zTelnet is one of those many ideas that was hard to do with zMUD, but a lot easier with CMUD.
Daffyd
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:56 am   

Thanks for the reply and the timeframe. I'll probably bring this up to my boss again in casual conversation just to refresh his memory but not set any hard timeframes for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: