Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
dranor0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:57 am   

Cmud & Windows Vista

Hay Zugg I know you are starting this to more compatable with Windows XP. But have you started thanking about how compatable it might be with Windows Vista?

I know you can't plan for a OS that is not out to the genral public yet but there are people with the beta coppies

For any one who has not been keeping up Vista is Microsofts new windows os. and is plained to be relised in the fall of 2006 or early 2007

you can start to get a look at it
[url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

[/url]
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:22 pm   

Zugg has stated a few times in these forums that he plans to add some of the nice, new Vista functionality to CMUD. I think we can look forward to window transparencies, XML schema-defined UIs, and more. I haven't installed my CTP of Vista yet, but I've read reviews of what Microsoft has planned for the OS and it sounds very intriguing. It'll be interesting to see what happens even at the lower levels with the IPSec-only TCP/IP stack and the combined IPv4/IPv6 standards.
dranor0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:02 pm   

Yah i notced after i did this that he stated it i have only seen screen shots of Vista and read some reveiws of it. But i have alsow heard that it's just microsfts anser to the mac 10 os.

i would alsow like to know if zmud or cmud or any other clients from Zuggsoft would eaver be in the linux world althow i can emagin that would probly create a hole new problem with licening.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:09 pm   

Dranor, I have mentioned officially that CMUD will support Vista. But I do not plan to get involved with the Vista Beta program. My time is just too limited to mess with bugs in a new OS. So none of the Vista features in CMUD will get implemented until *after* Vista is released to the general public. And then it will probably take a couple of months to get things working.

Also, some of this depends upon what is needed for Vista support. If I can't access the new Vista stuff from Delphi 7, then it will take a lot longer to support it. If Microsoft insists on requiring .NET to access Vista features, then you might not see those features in CMUD for a long long time (CMUD is *not* using .NET).

It also depends a bit on the 3rd party components that I'm using. I've tried consolidating my visual components to one 3rd party vendor (Developer Express) who has an excellent reputation for keeping up with new stuff. So, I'd expect to see Vista support in the DevExpress controls, but if they only add this support to their .NET or Visual Studio components and not their Delphi VCL components, then again there will be trouble.

So, there are really too many unknowns at this point. My main point is that I *do* plan to install a copy of Vista when Microsoft makes it public, and I *do* plan to make sure that CMUD runs on Vista. Taking advantage of new Vista features is much further down the road. I also want to maintain Windows XP compatibility in CMUD since a *lot* of people are going to ignore Vista and just keep using WinXP.

The distinction I wanted to make in my announcement is that I *will* compile CMUD so that it works on Vista. I do *not* plan to recompile zMUD, so if zMUD works on Vista, then that's great, but if zMUD doesn't work on Vista, it probably won't be fixed. zMUD will not officially be supported on Vista. CMUD will.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:12 pm   

Oh, and regarding your linux question:

I have talked about this *many* times with zMUD. And my answer is that "No, I have no plans to ever support linux". There are multiple reasons for this. The main ones are the lack of a good copy protection and licensing system for linux, and the fact that the Delphi for Linux (Kylix) project from Borland was essentially abandoned in favor of their .NET products. While Kylix exists, it is not very compatible with Delphi code, so it's *very* difficult to maintain a single set of source code for both Windows and linux. Also, many of the 3rd party components that I use in my products are not available for linux.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: