Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:56 am   

Search is getting wonky again?

1)
search for color as keyword and Vijilante as author and it says there are no topics matching my search
well.... the reason i got the idea to do this was from this post
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=88223
Vijilante is an author in there and he uses the words color, colors, coloring & colorings
Now if someone can lead me to that post that Vijilante mentions i'd be much obliged Laughing

2)
Did another search for punctuation ignor
left off the e in ignore cause i THOUGHT it would search for ignore, ignored & ignoring. Am i wrong about that? I know about the * for wildcards, but i could SWEAR that i used to get results like that before. could just be me tho.

Edit:
3) search for just Vijilante as author produces a timeout.
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /www/htdocs_emobius/phpbb/search_kb.php on line 526
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:05 am   

1. Reygar was the author of that link. Vijilante was a "replier", for lack of a better word.

3. Guess you'll have to specify your search periods. 1 year is the max we can choose right now. It'd be nice if their was a way to specify a range of dates.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:03 pm   

author or replier dont matter i think. I've searched for myself and gotten my replies
Just searched right now for Author Vitae

1:
No new posts Exporting zones in zMUD's mapper.
zMUD General Discussion geosmith 6 208 Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:26 am
Vitae View latest post

k, so it looks like crap copied and pasted in, but geosmith was the original author and i am the last replier.

2:
No new posts New Triggers not working
zMUD General Discussion DarkPriest 4 222 Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:02 pm
charneus View latest post

I am the 3rd replier in that thread so being the last replier is not a cause of the 1: working

So 1) is moot
as for 3) prolly.
as for 2) ....wtf?...there was no 2)
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:06 am   

After reviewing my old post I remember what I was thinking at the time..."I know I wrote something, but I can't find it. You are on your own since I can't be bothered to write something that exceeds your requests when I am sure I did this before."

I have always held the view, though never expressed it, that when searching for "Author" it should look at all topics and only return those topics where a post was made by the person specified. However the Author search checks the original poster of the first topic in a thread. Generally the person posting a question. In nearly all cases where I would be classed as the "Author", it is a beta issue that has long since been resolved. My post counts being what they are I can see the timeout being a good thing.

If something was already changed to allow the 'author' field to more accurately reflect on a per post basis then I have to thank Zugg.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:48 am   

it does Vij.
As i posted above, I did an author search for myself and got posts that I was not the originator on, but a replier.
So, whatever Zugg did he did it well.
(unless you meant something else and I misunderstood)

So, now i just need to back track some how thru every post from the beginning and see if your name is on it and check to see if it's that one :(
Some posts would be obvious, but others ya never know. A database question might be the one that lead to it.
Aw well, good to get in some foot work.
tho...hell, i cant really even think of a good reason for me to have it...I avoid PK like the plague...
Be nice for a mob locator in quests tho.
*shrug* i'll get to it one day ;-)
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:50 pm   

K, so....I know I'm 34. I know I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. Hell, I've even got grey hairs...
But am i freaking nuts and losing my mind?
I just went to look for someones EXCELLECT explanation of what the diff with %1 and %-1 was that was posted just a few days ago and I can't find it at all.
So, armed with the knowledge that it was based on an alias, I went to search, typed in alias set it to sort by post time, set it to just search for Zmud General Discussion and ran it.
Just before the screen changed over i saw that I'd selected Finished Zmud Scripts by mistake.
I let it run it's course anyways.
I got ONE result.
ummm......yeah.....
There is exactly ONE result for the word "alias" in Finished Zmud Scripts.
Went back and tested it again. same results.
Went back, changed it to look by relevance. same result.
SOOOOO....i must be either nuttier than a fruitcake, or somethings wrong....betting it's the fruitcake part.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:35 pm   

Also, as a side note, found a way to bypass using search for looking up every post made by someone.
Look at thier profile and click
Find all posts by (insert name here)

it will instantly open up and show the posts.

Damn Vijilante, you got 157 pages worth :-)
and I can now browse 2353 of your 2785 posts (the others musta been lost in that forum move that happened ages ago or are just lost due to age)
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:41 pm   

Vitae, are you using the generic Search box in the top-right corner of this site, or are you using the Search options from the Site menu?

The generic Search box was changed to use the MySQL Full-text index searching. The Search menus in the Site menu use whatever search forms were provided with the phpBB forum software and haven't been changed.

Since you are talking about Author searching, my guess is that you are using the Site/Search Forum option. I can't help much with that as we just use the standard phpBB search form there.

The generic Search box at the top of the page is something that I wrote to use the MySQL full text system. I'm no expert on the full text search, but since it is word-based, I don't think you can just enter a partial word and expect to get any match.

Also, if you ever enter a search term that is really common, the search system will time out because there are too many matches in the SQL query. That could give you the error mentioned in (3).
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:26 pm   

i am using the drop down menu at the top. since it's far better to use cause of the selecting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: