Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Dodgester
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:04 pm   

DB records and Optional Lists (more so noticable with zones)

I use the List view for 2 reasons, either for viewing information and/or copying one record and then paste to create a new record, to help save on some of the data entry that would otherwise be required.

In the past, when I attempted to use the DB, the first record got corrupted, and then the whole table was invalid, which this was noticed when I used the AutoMapper. That's why I hated to use the DB feature. However, now that I have 7.20b, I no longer have that issue.

The issue that I have noticed now is that 1, you can't type in the text version for these optional lists.

2, you can't change it in the list view, which I'm not sure if that's done by design or not, but no biggie there.

3, When you attempt to change the zone from the "ALL" equiptment record view, it doesn't stick, even after hitting the "Save" button, if you attempted to change it in the "List" view or even if the cursor was clicked into the "Zone" field while in the "List" view, which deletes the zone from the record (don't like this behavior).

To get around these issues, in particular, the zone one, I have had to go to the specific "Kind" of eq tab, change it there for the infected records one by one, and then everything seems to work fine under the "ALL" tab.

4, Option List only allows up to 31 choices, which for the Affects field, there's numerous things that it could be. Why is there this limit? If you attempt to add a 32nd to the list, it just gets cut off, even after saving it. It's as if the option list is based on a maximum of 4 bytes (each bit representing on or off, or long integer data type). Why not have sub tables or what's also known as lookup tables for these things?

I haven't even gotten into the scripting aspect of the DB yet, so who knows what I will find there once I do get into that aspect.

Also, I found that if you do a copy, then a paste, the first time, it works fine, but then if you attempt to do a paste a second time after making changes to the first newly created record, it doesn't work properly and you just end up having to do a copy and then paste again, and delete the newly created record that didn't paste properly.

Sincerely,

Dodgester
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: