Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:38 pm   

IMPORTANT: zMUD Sales

Everyone, I need your help!

zMUD sales have hit an all time low this month. I'm talking an ALL-TIME low since September 1996. Sales have dropped in HALF compared to last month. This is VERY bad.

Please do no make me regret removing eLicense! The future of zMUD is in your hands. If you have shared your new license key with a friend, tell your friend to buy it. If you know of other people who are sharing keys, tell them that by using zMUD for free they are killing it.

I replaced eLicense to HELP everyone and to give you a less intrusive system so that you'd have fewer problems with it. But if this is the thanks I'm going to get then I'll just quit.

Perhaps some people are waiting till the end of their new 30-day trial. Perhaps the high gas prices are making money tighter. So save gas money by staying home and playing MUDs!

I'll give this a couple more weeks to be sure it's not just a fluke, but it's not looking good. With this huge sudden drop, I'm not even sure if my savings will hold out until the new zMUDXP is even ready.

PLEASE go tell your friends to buy zMUD. Also, if this doesn't improve, then you'll see the new zMUDXP using eLicense again, and I don't think anyone really wants that.

Want to donate? Simple...just go to the new Store (click the Purchase menu link at the top) and just buy any products that you want. Don't have zMapper or zApp yet? Buy it to help donate to keep this stuff alive.

Or, if you want to donate and have PayPal, just use the Send Money feature in PayPal to send a donation to zugg@zuggsoft.com. That's my PayPal address.

Only a small minority of zMUD users read this forum regularly, so it's up to each and everyone one of you to try and get the word out.

Last edited by Zugg on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:10 pm   

Zugg... one thing that might be is that since people know your working on something new, they maybe waiting to see when that products comes out. As you said most don't read the forums regulary they probably don't know that your giving a "free" upgrade to those who bought since June 2005, so they maybe holding off until then. (If I hadn't read that I would have done the same thing) so that could be a factor as well. You probably want to try and get the word out as well. Another alternative (although it may be too soon do it) you could pre-orders for the next version; but you'll have to release the name and make some final decisions on whether it will be tiered (integrating zMapperXP) and what other bells and whistles you tend to add.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:08 pm   

I don't think that's it. I've only talked about the new version in the forums here, and this is also where I've said that people who have bought zMUD recently will get the new version for free. Also, what would they be using instead? Either they have to buy the existing version or their trial runs out. I doubt someone would use some other client just because they thing I'm coming out with a new one...that just doesn't make sense.

I don't want to do pre-orders. I've been burned by that in the past I'm afraid. But if something drastic doesn't improve, I might end up rushing zMUDXP just to get *something* out there for people to buy, without all of the features that are planned. In other words, I might put out a beta missing some features and then improve it over time like I did with zMUD. The features that would be missing wouldn't be any zMUD features, but would be improvements. In other words, something in zMUDXP might work just like it already does in zMUD with an improvement to that feature delivered later.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:03 am   

My excuse is that I've all but stopped mudding, bought zMud a few years ago and used it loads, then bought zMapper more recently and didn't really use it at all. I live in the UK though, we're used to sky high fuel prices (£1 a litre here guys, and you thing you've got it bad over the pond). Money's tight because I just went back to uni but I'll still buy zMUDXP when it's out purely because I'd be interested to see what it's like.

I'd not be surprised if people are waiting on the new version. As you said, most people don't read the forums regularly so probably most people know there's something new soon but maybe don't know they'll be getting a free upgrade if they buy zMUD now.

Perhaps a big "zMUDXP Coming Soon - Buy zMUD and you get a free upgrade when zMUDXP comes out!" banner at the top of the front page and forums so people can't miss it.
Given that you're doing the free upgrade then you can always call it a 'Pre-Order', and you just send people a zMUD license in the meantime (i.e. you don't have to change a thing, just call it something else).

Personally the eLicense thing didn't bother me too much, but that's just me.
adamwalker
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:24 am   money money money

Hi, i just bouth zmapper in support of zmud and for the future of zmud.

After the conversion the bill came to £11.59 GBP.

I bought a dvd from the supermarket today. It cost me £14.99.

Does that not even show to you the good value were getting for zmud and zmudsoftware products

I suggest other people do the same

(just waitin for my zmapper key now, strum strum)
Xymog
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:00 pm   

Tech wrote:
Zugg... one thing that might be is that since people know your working on something new, they maybe waiting to see when that products comes out.

Zugg wrote:
I don't think that's it.... --*snip*-- I doubt someone would use some other client just because they thing I'm coming out with a new one...that just doesn't make sense.

Zugg, I hate to break it to you, but your logic doesn't apply here and Tech is spot on. I can almost guarantee the sales drop isn't due to removing eLicense. I've worked in software, and people will hold off purchasing new software if they know a new product is coming out, because they want to kick the tires before investing. Especially in the software biz, newer is perceived as better, so folks will wait for version++ even if they know it's the equivalent of a 1.0 release.

To use another example, towards the end of the year car dealerships announce the next year's models -- and at the same time, offer a discount on current models. Why? Precisely because the revenue stream drops as people defer or delay purchases in anticipation of new models. There has to be some other incentive to buy the existing model and maintain the revenue stream.

Your options are to drop the current price of zMUD, create a "Value Bundle" of applications at the same price, or release a new product. Since zMUDXP is a ways out, you may want to reconsider engaging in a crash-priority version of zTelnet targeted at a new market and new users as your existing market and users are not buying what you're selling.

Food for thought.
Erasmus
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:35 pm   

I am inclined to side with those who believe the sales drop stems from anticipation of a new product being introduced.

I am planning on buying ZMUDXP, and in my circles the word is out that it is coming. However, I wasn't aware buying ZMud now would come with an upgrade to XP when introduced, and I generally check the forums at least once a day. Actually, I do recall an offer like this from the summer, but I didn't know it was still in effect.

I would be willing pre-order a copy of ZMudXP.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:56 pm   

Okay, I take it back, none of these site actually have a cracked version of 7.21, it's just one of the Communist website phenomonial where they have "fake" link to kinda prompte traffic (cause people is tricked into visiting their website thinking it contain the bootleg software they wanted).

However I do notice there is apprantely a cracked version of 7.05 around...
StonedMOFO
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:07 pm   

I would be willing pre-order a copy of ZMudXP.
from Erasmus,

aiye on that, I will be willing to pre-order too, so Zugg if you have some sort of idea on ETA of zMudXP, maybe you can run a pre-order sales?
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:35 pm   

That's the thing though - you can already pre order zMUDXP by buying zMUD again, you'll then get the free upgrade.

See Zugg, people don't know ;)
adamwalker
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:36 am   preorder

and thats exactly what i did. i bought zmud maybe 3 weeks ago so i could get my happy hands on the new version when it comes out
OmegaDeus
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:09 am   

speaking of zMUD sales. I just noticed when I upgraded to the 7.2x versions of zMUD without the eLicense control on it that in my ZuggStore it only lists one purchase of zMUD, when back in the day when i first bought zMUD I bought two copies, one for me and one for my friend, I remember, it was 24.99 then and I paid the $50, can that be updated in my ZuggStore?

Look at me I've got zSKILLS
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:45 pm   

OmegaDeus,

Look at the second page of this thread:

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=85151#85151

Your answer will be there.
geosmith
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:10 am   

Have to agree with the earlier posts - whether a free upgrade is offered or not, people just won't pay for something if they think a newer, better version is on the horizon. No-one likes to feel they're going to be stuck with something out-dated, and similarly, a lot of people don't like the idea of their old software being upgraded or patched to a newer version (they assume the process will be either difficult, or glitchy, or both).

You also have to bear in mind that a lot of MUDs (particularly the popular Iron Realms ones) have made huge steps forward in developing their own Java-based clients such that they're far, far more beautiful than they used to be. These may not offer anything like the functionality of zMUD, but to the casual gamer there'll be less and less incentive to look for anything beyond the pretty interface they've become accustomed to.

Finally, it's just a lousy time of year for any product requiring continual sales. For a start, the online gaming market is a lot more competitive now than in previous years, with MUDs becoming more and more of a niche interest. Also, there's been so much new technology released recently (iPod nanos, Sony PSPs, the soon-to-be-released X-Box 360) that a -lot- of people will be saving their money for those, and just for Christmas generally, rather than investing in MUD clients and the like.

Now the above reasons probably aren't a lot of consolation - personally I think zMUD's a great product and nothing would make me happier than to think you were doing very, very well with it - but I think restoring the e-liscence system would be a knee-jerk reaction, and one whose main victim would be those people who -do- pay for the product, and who will remain loyal to it in years to come.
geosmith
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:28 am   

Just as a quick addition to my previous post...

I hate to say it (and I'm sure people will disagree), but your website doesn't exactly scream "come and buy your cutting-edge gaming client here!". The colour-scheme's rather bland, and upon seeing the whole "Customer-driven Internet solutions" title, a lot of people probably assume they've stumbled upon a site selling business software.

Now I realise you offer a whole range of programs, but maybe for zMUD to continue to sell, it needs to be made a little more competitive, with its own sleek, modern website. Word-of-mouth is wonderful, and zMUD has a great reputation, but presentation is equally if not more important - moreso now than ever.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:13 am   

All of those points are valid, at least somewhat. But it doesn't explain the fact that sales have been very steady and constant for many many months, with less than 10% variation from week to week. Then suddenly the very day that I updated the web site to make the 7.20 version of zMUD available widely, sales dropped 50% and have been stuck at this much lower value ever since.

Even last year with WoW and EQ2 were released in the same month sales only dropped about 10-20%. And a $30 program like zMUD just doesn't compete with other new technology or even traditional games. If someone is thinking about saving $300-400 for an XBox360, then a $30 MUD client is a no-brainer impulse purchase. I think it's more likely that things like high gas prices might be causing less impulse purchases, expecially as kids just decide to share their reg codes instead of buying their own.

This is the largest jump ever in the history of zMUD and is way beyond statistical variations. So stuff like website issues (which can *always* be better, but specific suggestions are a lot more useful than vague comments about the site) doesn't really make sense. zMUD has sold fine in the past with an even worse web site. In fact, there has been no relationship between web site changes and sales at all in the past.

The only time I've seen changes in sales is when I switched to eLicense (sales rose about 20% within a couple of weeks, but that was also the release of a major new version), and around other major new version releases. But there was no increase of sales with the 7.1x release back in June, and now the big drop with 7.20.

I find the fact that you can now share your license key with your friends (at least for a while) and the big drop in sales to be more than just a coincidence. Unfortunately, the kind of people who might do this are not the kind that probably read these forums, or who even care what the effect of their actions are. Maybe they'll think twice if they get burned when it comes time to upgrade, but we'll see. I wish the careful and thoughful posting that happens in this forum reflected the majority of zMUD users, but judging from our support email, it's not.

But thanks for the support from those who have tried...you are the ones that I continue to work for. I'll try to stretch out the money as long as I can and keep trying to get zMUDXP ready for you.
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:53 am   

I myself am one of the people waiting to see zmudxp, but in the meantime I've still convinced a couple of people I know to buy 7.21. Like other people here, I wasnt quite aware recent purchases of 7.21 is a free upgrade to XP (thought it was a credit for 1/2 price upgrade)

I wonder how a referral system would work, where current users get brownie points for having a new purchaser fill out a form saying 'this user talked me into buying 7.21/zmudxp/zapp' etc...10 referrals for a free licence?
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:01 am   

I bought zMUD years ago and understood I'd get free upgrades for life (assuming that's Zugg's lifetime). So what's this about zMUDXP? verson 7.20 is the end of the line for me?

Now...as for the free-loaders... Hey you there...yeah you... stick a crowbar in your wallet and buy that copy of zMUD you're running. !
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:00 am   

Quote:

I bought zMUD years ago and understood I'd get free upgrades for life (assuming that's Zugg's lifetime). So what's this about zMUDXP? verson 7.20 is the end of the line for me?

7.21 is the last free, no-strings-attached upgrade version. After that, everyone pays every 2 years (this could change, as I don't think Zugg really ever decided how long) and during the 2 years they pay for they will receive access to upgrades.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:10 pm   

Probably people are just waiting for that next generation client. You see only the side that people would not loose any money if they can upgrade for free, but you dont see the point that they have to transfer their triggs also to the new client. Something that im not looking with any great joy with my ~250 triggs/deamons.

Also, as a general selling point, there is no support for debit cards (like Visa Electron). As a example I don't have credit card and will never get a one, nor will anyone in my house get a such a thing.
geosmith wrote:
I hate to say it (and I'm sure people will disagree), but your website doesn't exactly scream "come and buy your cutting-edge gaming client here!". The colour-scheme's rather bland, and upon seeing the whole "Customer-driven Internet solutions" title, a lot of people probably assume they've stumbled upon a site selling business software.
The site is clear and easy to navigate, most important its is X browser compactible UNLIKE many many many other truly proffesional sites. The products _are_ customer-driven. The coloring is not bland, but (pro level) restrained thus not giving a headache when browsing the pages. Explosions, text following mouse and snow rain might be "cool" things but not sings of pro level know-how. I doubt you would hire a clown to represent you in court, instead you would select the person with suit.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:51 pm   

There is support for PayPal though, which does support debit cards.
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:23 pm   

All of my purchases for ZuggSoft products have been done using debit cards, specifically Visa debit cards.
OmegaDeus
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:45 pm   

If it has the visa logo on it, it works JUST like a credit card. I know this because many financial institutions and stores. I ask them do you take check cards? They say "Does it have the visa logo on it?" I say "Yes." They say "Yes." So if your debit card has the visa logo on it, you can use it and zugg will never know that it's coming straight from your checking account, he'll see you've paid with credit card.

Look at me I've got zSKILLS
Atreides_096
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:05 am   

I would like to point out (what I perceive) to be one relatively major issue nobody has mentioned; the prior E-License code restricted Licenses to the use of (3?) computers. How many families do we all know, husband + wife + perhaps even a child, each having their own computer, laptop, and work or school computer, who in the past (despite the fact that it was very very easy to simply re-validate a license on each new computer) would go ahead and purchase a new license every time they "ran out?" Those same families could include people who also upgrade their computers reguarly (I for one, though I've always used the same license I purchased years ago, upgrade all my computers at least once/year) and purchase new licenses for each new computer? These same families, who would normally never consider stealing/pirating/anything illegal, now all believe that they are perfectly in the right to keep their existing license(s) rotating on all their computers, new and old, forever...

I'm sure there has been some "sharing of codes" -- I'd have to be naive to think there isn't. But software piracy is nothing new, and as I believe someone mentioned before, there have been cracked versions of zMUD (and every other program EVER made) floating around from probably about 6 minutes after zMUD 0.00000000001 was ever conceived of.

I suspect that the sale decrease cannot be attributed to ANY on factor; there have been many valid points brought up here, and I would think that they are all contributing factors. I suspect that the largest amount of license sharing is occuring in a legal (or believed to be legal) fashion though; the above mentioned example, of families (or even individuals -- I know many people who mud of as many as 5+ computers) who use multiple occurances of zMUD. Asking you to "grin and bear it" is unfair to the extreme; to us it's a piece of software we use (allbeit one I use a LOT, and probably my favorite one)... to you it's the food on your table. But at the same time, realistically, if the problem truly is 100% (or close enough to make no difference) an issue of shared licensing, then how could putting E-License back in to 7.2x (or even deleting 7.2x and going back to 7.13b) make a difference? Anyone willing to share the license almost certainly has a copy of zMUD installed on their computer as well. Until the next upgrade/new release comes, nobody would miss out on a thing by sharing the file as well as the license, so it wouldn't increase zMUD sales again any time soon.

I would think that your best course is to go back to E-License in zMUDXP (I for one have never had a problem with E-Licensing), attempt to advertise it heavily, and follow some of the prior suggestions posted here of offering discounted packages and making a point of noting that new zMUD purchases will receive free upgades to zMUDXP. Perhaps make a "rule" that people are only allowed 3 licenses again. Those that choose to break the rule cannot be stopped, but at least *some* people (as long as they "see" the rule somewhere) may feel obligated to purchase additional licenses.

One final suggestion/question: How come you have never registered the domain www.zmud.com and have it lead directly to the zMUD page (or at least redirect to www.zuggsoft.com)? I doubt this "costs" you many sales, but even if it's 1 sale a week, that's well over $1500/year...
Atreides_096
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:09 am   

To clarify one thing: I said:
Quote:
I suspect that the largest amount of license sharing is occuring in a legal (or believed to be legal) fashion though;

and what I actually meant was the largest amount of NEW piracy (in the form of code sharing)... while I'm sure there's a lot more people who are intentionally violating copyright laws than unintentionally doing so, most of those are simply doing it more easily, or on a newer version; they most likely were pirating the software, in one way or another, before, too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: