Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kingfish1
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:30 pm   

Using portals with automapper

I have several portals on hand. To use the portals I have to hold them then enter. Can anyone think of a creative way to incorperate the portals with the automapper. Basically, the automapper would have to take in account the portals, when it determines the path I want to take.

If I am standing in room A and I use the %walk(vnum) command it will use the shortest path on the map and give me a speedwalk to Room B. It might be 3esu. If I used my portal on hand it would take me one room away from B so the speedwalk would be enter portal;u. I am looking for a way to make the automapper recognize the portal I have and use it instead of the standard path.

So start location would be my current room (whereever that may be) and finish location is the room the portal links to.

Not sure if this is possible but I thought I would ask around. I know Vijilante likes challenges :P

Thanks

Kingfish
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:36 pm   

Use the search engine to find posts by me in this folder within the month of August. I swear I just answered this when nobody (like Vijilante) offered up their solutions. To narrow it down just a tad, include the words "OptionA" and "OptionB".
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:32 pm   

Looking at the way portals are done it appears that you can set the destination room, and have it activatable in any zone. It then becomes a matter of working with the portal name and being able to trap the use of it such the the necessary hold command(s) are issued prior to use and after use. I am guessing, since I really haven't played with portals all that much, that an #ONINPUT trigger could be used for this. Something along the format of:
#ONINPUT {portal name as entered in the Edit|Portals...} {#SEND hold item;#ALARM {+1} {#SEND hold normally held item}}
Private
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:56 am   

my portals are all aliased
// if dual = 1 it will rem dualed weapon and replace when done, if portal wish, dual always = 0
#ALIAS xxx {bag out xxx;#IF (@dual = 1) {rem @dualweapon};hold xxx;enter;#IF (@dual = 1) {remove xxx;dual @dualweapon} {hold @holding};bag in xxx}

i made a simple alias:
#ALIAS goto {%1}

now set the portal destination rooms "set portal" to goto xxx, edit the portal and tell it the destination room vnum.

On leveling "^You raise a level!!$"
i trigger:
// add 1 to current_level
#MATH current_level @current_level+1
// check for level and tier level (100 is level of portal)
#IF (@current_level >= %eval( 100-(10*@tier))) {#CALL %portalenable("goto xxx",1)}

to turn on portals as i level.

on remort/tier i call an alias portal_reset:
// define all portals like this line
#CALL %portalenable("goto xxx",0)

I told all portals the only valid zone was the one where my house is. Only issues i have is no portal rooms... just gotta know when you can use the portal.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:13 am   

OOooooohhhhhh...
I can one up ya on this.
I haven't done it yet, because you know my lazy self, but in the goto alias, might wanna have a check for if your on a GQ or a CP.
Can't use Chaos Portals in a GQ or CP (might be wrong about the CP, been a while)
Actually, the check wouldn't be in the goto i think...

Alias:
lotus

Pattern:
get ~"live chaos portal lotus~" back
wear ~"live chaos portal lotus~"
e
en
#TELEPORT 6432 "Temple of the White Lotus"
wear ~"amulet aardwolf~"
put ~"live chaos portal lotus~" back

room 6432 is portal enabled. Oddly, the only way that I could do shortest speedwalk routes was by putting in the #teleport part.
So like #walk 6430 will send me thru my lotus chaos portal and go 2e.
Of course the reason for all this babble of mine is to show that since chaos portals don't work in GQ/CP's I'm going to make a change to that alias.
#if (ongq_cp=1) {run etc etc} {get ~"live chaos portal lotus~" back;etc etc}

Edit:
Tho, thinking about it, doing a portalenable thing would be a good idea as well. Imagine what can be done with the #walk then..
#if (ongq_cp=1) {whatever the portal disable command is; #walk 1st room of area} {get ~"live chaos portal lotus~" back;etc etc}
the #walk will take ya from pretend your in ToL, and you want to get to Wyrm. will pick shortest path.
OR of course
#if (ongq_cp=1) {enter non-chaos_portal portal} {get ~"live chaos portal lotus~" back;etc etc}

This is stuff that I know i need to do and I am just to damned lazy to get around to it. Maybe next tier.
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:35 pm   

i dont use regular chaos portals... goldens work in gquest :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: