Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Zugg Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:24 pm
Wish-list for zMUDXP
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:09 pm   

Quote:

Umm one thing I would like is if you can incorporate #LEFT and #LEFTBACK (I think it's leftback) into one using negative numbers. IE #LEFT(right,-1) would show t and #LEFT(right,-3) would show ght

This already exists with the associated RIGHT functions (%right() and %rightback()). I think we have a %mid() function or something similar, but if not it'd be great to have one so that when we wanted, say, the middle 3 characters of a word that's 9 characters long we didn't have to create a giant left/right/leftback/rightback monster.

Quote:

Possibly a option dialog to set the 16 colors? IE. an option dialog to show all 16 colors and you place beside it #U for bold_blue. This way the script editor would not halt on it saying it's an error because it's not a known #COMMAND (that's annoying when trying to debug a script and the editor is hung up on a color code.)

This is also already included in ZMud Color Preferences. Dunno if you can overload the # character since it also doubles as a default special character for zscript commands, but to set the mud's color codes you would go to the Color Syntax tab and to set the 24 colors (16 foreground, 8 background) you'd go to Foreground Mapping and Background Mapping.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:23 pm   

The only thing I would really like would be to highlight related brackets and parentheses. When the curser is adjacent to one, it highlights that one and the related one. I've spent many hours debugging scripts with a bracket missing :)
Jazzles
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:14 pm   

Someone previously posted "mouse wheel to move up and down rather than zoom in and out" I would prefer that to be a user preference option [from mouse right click], along with:

mouse wheel - double click = zoom map extents of current zone level / zoom map extents all levels within zone [again user preference, right mouse click]

Quick tags ON/OFF regarding visibilty of above and below levels [once again right mouse click option]

and..

Within map the ability to only view 'favourites' within stated walking range, in other words those rooms that are out of distance [user predefined, number of moves] are not shown.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:42 pm   

Carabas wrote:
I'll take a look at WatchCat anyway. If it has a very small footprint, I'll be perfectly happy with it. Thanks.

Currently using about 2megs of ram.
remember to set it so that the WatchCat logo don't appear in the systray, let it start up with windows, and ya pretty much set it and forget it.
Using it now for about 6yrs :-)
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:47 pm   

I'll keep this minimalist, to avoid sidetracking.
MattLofton wrote:

I think we have a %mid() function or something similar, but if not it'd be great to have one so that when we wanted, say, the middle 3 characters of a word that's 9 characters long we didn't have to create a giant left/right/leftback/rightback monster.

%copy(s,i,n) should do that for you- string s, return n chars starting with the ith.

-Tarn
Rappy
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:38 pm   

Quote:

This already exists with the associated RIGHT functions (%right() and %rightback()). I think we have a %mid() function or something similar, but if not it'd be great to have one so that when we wanted, say, the middle 3 characters of a word that's 9 characters long we didn't have to create a giant left/right/leftback/rightback monster.

If Zugg added negative numbers to %left and %right there would be no need for %leftback and %rightback

%left(text,N)

Returns the N left characters of text.

If N is a negative value, it would return all but N characters, same for %right

%left(goodbye,4) returns good
%right(goodbye,4) returns dbye
%left(goodbye,-4) returns goo
%right(goodbye,-4) returns bye

*shrug*
Aarlot
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:16 pm   

Support in the ctrl+f find (to search through the scrollback) for regex syntax would be cool to have.
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:16 am   

Regular expression aliases (the #ONINPUT trigger just doesn't cut it).

XML import and export of all settings.

Mapper that supports some method of outside control, such as UDP, COM, DDE, etc.

Fix all discrepancies found between importing scripts from files and entering the same scripts from the command-line.
Rappy
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:37 am   

Not sure how this could be fixed, but if you are using string lists with #PSUB, and more than one item in the list is on the same line, only the first one is substituted. If you can fix it to check ALL strings in the list with #PSUB that would be awesome.

Also another thing I remembered, being able to use @variables in #YESNO would be nice.

Code:
#MATH diamond (((@silver / 100) + @gold) / 110)
#SA @diamond
#YESNO "Do you wish to purchase @diamond diamonds?" {buy @diamond*1.diamond clear}

Simply shows Would you like to purchase @diamond diamonds?

-Rappy
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:58 pm   

Rappy wrote:

#YESNO "Do you wish to purchase @diamond diamonds?" {buy @diamond*1.diamond clear}[/code]

Simply shows Would you like to purchase @diamond diamonds?

#YESNO %concat("Do you wish to purchase ",@diamond," diamonds?") {buy ....

-Tarn
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:33 pm   

Or:

#YESNO {Do you wish to purchase @diamond diamonds?} {buy...

Always remember that variables are never expanded when used within quotes "". You have to use braces {} to get variable expansion in any command.
Belmyrddyn
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:35 pm   

I don't know if this would be automatically implied by moving to zApp because I haven't had the time to experiment with zApp, but would it be possible for plugin developers to create custom forms? I'd love to be able to extend zMUD with completely custom designed forms, which is only possibly now by using ugly modal forms - and that causes focus issues, so I gave up on it.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:09 pm   

Quote:

Mapper that supports some method of outside control, such as UDP, COM, DDE, etc.

Already in place. There's a COM interface directly to the mapper, plus the database is in ADO/MSJet 4.0 format (that's what MS Access uses). Eventually, or even perhaps with the ZMudXP upgrade, this will be changing to the much faster and compact database engine that Zugg uses for Zapp (my bet's on later, since he'd have to convert zMapper at the same time if he's set on actually keeping it).
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:28 am   

* Echo the rewritten help files with usable examples. One of the things that bugs me the most is when a documentation writer puts in some abstract code sample that is neither illustrative nor useful.

* New tutorials. The old ones just don't cut it.

* Redesign the UI. Sorry, no "classic zMUD" switch. There are too many quirks and nonstandard behaviors; loveable as they are, they confuse the newcomer.
soleil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:05 am   Ditto

Ditto that for more support for novice users. I know that there are a lot of hardcore programmers out there, but more illustrative examples and some more tutorials would be great.

Also, better support in AutoMapper and zMapper for IRE games would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also, whatever it is that makes multi-line channel capture so hard in IRE games - if there were an easier/more reliable way to do it than available currently, that would be great!
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:41 am   

The best people to write new newbie tutorials, examples etc. are the nearly-newbies themselves. Old hats at zMUD will have much less of an idea of what it is that confuses newbies so much.. So make a list of examples, please, suggest new things we need tutorials on, make notes when you read them about which bits are outdated, or confusing, and so on.. Report them to Zugg, and you're much more likely to get those updated Tutorials..

Maybe we need to have a usability study..

Whats IRE?

Lady C.
Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:38 am   

Iron Realms Entertainment*

I agree with Castaway. What seems obvious to me, may be the most confusing to a newbie. Us "old hats" need help realizing what it is that is confusing the average newbie.

Perhaps we should start another topic about the inadequacies of the documentation.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:25 pm   

A #sub that works correctly when wrapping lines.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:13 pm   about mapper function

I would like more customization for the mapper function, rather than paragraph mode (where we specify what paragraph is what), mainly this is for my Chinese MUD, where zMUD is unable to determine paraph in multi-byte language because they do not use . , instead they use .,
maybe a method of specifiying the formate of a paraph would help.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:26 am   

MattLofton wrote:
Quote:

Already in place. There's a COM interface directly to the mapper, plus the database is in ADO/MSJet 4.0 format (that's what MS Access uses). Eventually, or even perhaps with the ZMudXP upgrade, this will be changing to the much faster and compact database engine that Zugg uses for Zapp (my bet's on later, since he'd have to convert zMapper at the same time if he's set on actually keeping it).

Actually, I had posted about this a while ago, and Zugg informed me that what I wanted to do just wasn't possible, even with zMapper. I've inspected the COM interface myself, and I just don't see a way to remotely control the mapper with an outside application.
Xymog
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:41 pm   

Without necessarily volunteering to be the documentation person, give me a month to finish my current book project. Then I'll come back with some observations and maybe even some helpful suggestions. Then it's up to Zugg. :)
AesirMergera
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:00 pm   

I'de like to see something deal with server side linewrap.

I've seen a few really basic clients ignore linewrap before, shouldn't be so hard.
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:45 am   

What do you mean by "deal with" ? Unwrap so the client can rewrap to local display, or what?

Lady C.
AesirMergera
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:42 am   

Hate seeing all the incoming text fill up only half my Zmud window because the mud sends wierd wraps. Cerberus and a few ther tiny clients manage to ignore the mud's newline command completely and thus, fill the entire window with type.

Wish I could explain it better.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:56 pm   

Can you change the wrap column in your MUD, Aesir? Setting that to a high number will allow ZMud to handle the wrapping since the MUD isn't likely to send you a line that long.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: