Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Zugg Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:24 pm
Wish-list for zMUDXP
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:01 pm   

I would like to see better support for the WSH, Zugg. I've been trying to get things working using the #SS, #MSS, #SCRIPT, etc, commands, and it's just so ugly and painful. I want to able to to make script files, or modules, and include them in my scripts to call functions. I want to be able to format my script in an easy-to-read manner and to share it with others easily.

I've written complex scripts in both zMUD and MUSHclient, and I definitely feel that MUSHclient is many times faster in doing similar tasks. It's more lightweight and tied more closely to the scripting engine. The next set of benchmarks that are released should not be some abc123 triggers without script code behind them. There should be complex tasks implemented in similar ways on the clients being benchmarked, and then you'll begin to see what others see in clients like MUSHclient.

I'm not giving up on zMUD, though, especially now that I've seen it's possible to use Lua code in MUSHclient to control my zMUD (i.e., automapper capabilities).
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:52 pm   

My only wish list item is also in the area of speed. I would love to see zScript kick the collective dariere's of other scripting languages in this area. To do this I think zScript has to add a a compiled script layer. This allows the interpretive nature of zScript to still be around to handle those truly complex indirect references that other languages just do not seem to be capable of. The compiled layer would take all the static text text and convert it to a shorter token form. Currently zMud spends too much time copying the text of a script from one corner of memory to another, then inserting the text for early expansion references and parsing it once again. I would like to see it setup so a shorter form can be copied about, and most of the parsing is also shortcutted in this compiled form. The compiled forms could be built on load of the .mud and also any change to a script, with lines that have indirect and mutable references being left in interpretted mode. Just my ideas on how to implement a decent speed gain, I am sure there are better ways to improve the speed though.
AesirMergera
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:08 pm   

Portability.

I would sell my arm for a portable version of Zmud that I could just slap on a thumdrive and move to any computer without them taking my license.

Ok, maybe not my arm, I need that to type. But certainly my leg!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:55 pm   

Sorry, the "portable" license you mention will never happen. After all, what's to stop you from just uploading the contents of your USB drive (or thumdrive, or whatever) to the Internet, allowing anyone to use zMUD for free. You will *always* need your license.
Yamabushi
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:55 am   

Actually a portable license could be done like MP3 players. Just have to find out what they use to ensure that you don't switch it from device to device.

And allowing the character files to be made into plug-ins and become complied code rather than interperated code would be great too.

Don't forget zChat.
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:01 am   

Umm, what??? "could be done like MP3 players"? I have no idea what you mean by this, but MP3 players are *hardware* not just software and they can do all sorts of copy protection checks that aren't possible with software. And USB drives are a lot different than MP3 players. MP3 players are *designed* for security and copy protection issues. Portable hard drives are not.

Think about it...you have data on a portable drive. You want this data to work when you plug it into any computer. So there is *nothing* to stop someone else from making a copy of that same data and using it on their own computer. There is no way to "lock" a license to a particular USB drive. There are probably some fancy "secure drives" that offer such features, but I can't support something that I don't have and can't test.
Solaras
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:16 am   

I have been an avid user of zMUD for many years and will continue to do so. I have also been playing with Mushclient lately though and there are times I have said "I wish zMUD would do it this way!"

1) A hardcoded Timer section.
2) Triggers to be given a sequence number for execution. In fact the entire model for building Triggers in Mushclient would be nice in zMUD
3) Plugin capability more versatile. In Mushclient I can select the things I want in the plugin from my aliases and triggers and scripts, and it builds a plugin that can be given to numerous people. I have used this feature endlessly to build plugins for my friends who refuse to see the light and join the zMUD group. It would be nice to have that same functionality in building zMUD plugins.
4) Regular expression aliases.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:06 am   

Solaras wrote:
I have been an avid user of zMUD for many years and will continue to do so. I have also been playing with Mushclient lately though and there are times I have said "I wish zMUD would do it this way!"

1) A hardcoded Timer section.

How do you mean "hardcoded timer"? As it is works in zMUD you can already define timers using alarms.

Quote:

2) Triggers to be given a sequence number for execution. In fact the entire model for building Triggers in Mushclient would be nice in zMUD

This sounds a bit like trigger states in zMUD. Note that the order of triggers in the trigger list actually reflects the order of execution when matching. So you can move them around to change the order.

Quote:

3) Plugin capability more versatile. In Mushclient I can select the things I want in the plugin from my aliases and triggers and scripts, and it builds a plugin that can be given to numerous people. I have used this feature endlessly to build plugins for my friends who refuse to see the light and join the zMUD group. It would be nice to have that same functionality in building zMUD plugins.

Is this really a "plugin"? :) The way plugins work in zMUD is that you are allowed to write an application in for example C++ and then let zMUD call pre-defined functions. For example you could create windows, new kind of gauges etc. Want to make your own "zMapper"? Plugins give you the chance.

The word plugin as you define it above seems more to be a collection of triggers/scripts/aliases. You can do this with zMUD by selecting the class paths, right click and select Export. It could be improved a lot here though as it is probably pretty difficult for newbies to remove a script once they have imported it.

Quote:

4) Regular expression aliases.

Regular expression "aliases" can be done using triggers in zMUD. Make a new trigger with the regular expression you wish to match, and select Options->Command Input.

In the code window the last line should contain %null

Edit: More precisely:
#ONINPUT {test} {
#echo This is a test
%null
}
Solaras
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:18 am   

1)Mushclient has a section that is specific for building timers and holding them. zMUD calls them alarms, but they are the same function.
2)Moving triggers around has -never- changed their order of execution for me in the years I have used zMUD, and has been a source of grief for me many times when I have similar triggers and need one to fire before the other. I would prefer a system of saying this trigger is priority 1, and this trigger is priority 100.
3) I know how plugins work in zMUD. However, definitional terms aside they are the same thing. In Mushclient a plugin is a set of aliases, timers, scripts as you said, that are not adopted into the core scripting of the user. They are standalone. I could say use this plugin, or don't use this plugin and it has no effect on my core scripting. In zMUD you have to import scripts which add on to your core scripting and as you said is harder to remove for novice users.
4) Command Input triggers do not have the flexibility of Regular Expression Aliases. I am sure Larkin can explain this one in great detail.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:12 pm   

1. I don't mind the way zMUD handles alarms. I like that I can easily create temporary alarms or that I can make a static alarm and turn it on/off. I find the way MUSHclient handles alarms to be less intuitive, to be honest.

2. I love the sequence numbering in MUSHclient, and I use it to great advantage in building some of my more advanced scripts or just in keeping groups separate and still functioning properly. Turning off the sorting and organizing them manually is not an answer, since I give or sell scripts to others who wouldn't be able to figure out that they need to do exactly that. What a pain.

3. I like MUSHclient plugins, but they, too, have limitations. I like that it's easy to load the plugin as a collection of settings and pass it around to other people to use. I don't like that the settings cannot be so easily modified and re-loaded for some plugins, and that I have less control over sequence of execution when using lots of plugins.

4. Command input triggers are useful as pass-through catches to commands, so you can override some behavior, like turning off a folder when you conjure an illusion and then turning it back on again. They're terrible, however, at matching multiple triggers on the same command and successfully gagging the command (and not any text echo'd). I tried to use command input triggers to emulate MUSHclient's regular expression aliases, and it didn't work in nearly the same way.

I've written articles on the limitations of aspects of zMUD coding and the workarounds I found for most of them. I'm hoping that these limitations are addressed in the next generation of zMUD.
xenapan
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:28 am   

Tarn wrote:
1) Extended GUI for trigger creation
a) Automatic trigger creation- give the client a couple of copy/paste examples of what needs to be triggered on, and the client suggests a trigger.

thats all i need. well improve it a bit and also add in stuff it SHOULDNT trigger on.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:38 pm   

Dunno if it's been mentioned in all these pages, but what I'd like is for the Inherited settings to show up in setting when you click on the folder.
Normally, if you click on the folder in settings the entire folder contents are laid out in script format.
But, for inherited scripts it's never listed in either the zMUD script or Text tabs.
I've noticed that if the only non-inherited things in there are variables, they dont display either.
So, unless i got a screwed setting somewhere, and this isn't a bug, I'd like it as a feature :-)
I like seeing the layout of scripts and since an export puts it all on one line this is a nice way to see how things are laid out.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:54 pm   

umm... view, inherited settings? or am i missing something?
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:56 pm   

Be nice if the database allowed fields to be displayed in a format other than simply top-down when viewing a record.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:04 am   

xenapan wrote:
umm... view, inherited settings? or am i missing something?

Yeah, yer missing ALOT.
As I put in the graphic, the 2 vars are the only NON-inherited setting there. so obviously i can see them.
Meaning, those triggers and alias' are inherited settings.
That's also why they are a different color.
What I don't see is the scripts.
Down at the bottom see where it says "Why is this blank? The vars arent here." That's where the stuff from the top should show.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:13 pm   

You guys should really start a new thread on this. This topic is supposed to be about zMUDXP and not about problems with the existing zMUD.

Vitae, your window was empty because you selected the Class Script tab and the inherited settings are *not* part of your script. Class Script only shows your own personal settings that have been added to a class. If the Class Script showed the inherited settings, then when you exported a class and then imported again you'd get duplicates. Anyway, if you want to talk more about inherited settings, please start a new thread.

I understand that you were making a request for a zMUDXP feature, and it has been noted.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:04 pm   

In the xp mapper, could we be allowed to include bends in selection groups? You currently can move them individually but if you need to move an entire room or group of rooms you can't also select the bend and move it with the rooms.
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:28 am   

Would there be any hope of seeing support for more scripting languages included into future versions of zMUD? I'd really love to see TCL support personally, or Bash shellscript would be nice to use too. Just more common scripting languages like the addition of VBS.

Down for PVP? Try The Vortex
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:20 pm   

zMUD already supports *any* scripting language that is compatible with Microsoft Scripting Host, which includes VBScript, JavaScript, PerlScript, Python, ActivePHP, etc. The same will be true in zMUDXP (with even more support for these languages via the zApp system).
smarshall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:47 pm   

Advanced search: both by type (alias, trigger, etc.) and multi keyword.

The ability to scoll child windows without text being automatically redirected to them.

Better interface for multiline triggers. As it is now you can't easily tell the trigger is multistate without specifically checking, also I don't believe the search feature searches below either the first state, or though the non-active ones.

a smart wizard for chat/tells/etc. I can't believe we have to code this stuff from zero. Even a feature like #c+ {until color changes} might help.

Atreides asked for a search for duplicates, I would add a search for near duplicates would be also helpful. One trigger might have more information than another which fires on the same thing. Maybe a feature which groups smaller triggers next to their larger included ones?

More control over creating multiple child windows.

Mapper

On Nexela's comments about the mapper, consider adding in the following, not just flying and mounted, but water rooms. We need ways to effect large groups of rooms by type. Some characters might be able to swim while others can drown. Some might need to avoid

The mapper gaining information toggles. I should be able to toggle on legends (names of rooms, geographic type, room names, mob locations, famous npcs, etc.)

make the mapper its own application. Currently, if zmud is the current application then the mapper will also be in the forefront. Often I would like the mapper to be in the background and have a webpage showing game information, a forum, or a messenger visible.

A way to code the mapper to reflect where people are when you use various locate abilities. Even if it is something like peaks at thier location, shows it on the map and you can hit a key to return to your place, or double-click on the map to go to them.

Travel modes. Drop the assumption that people walk everywhere and build in system support for other modes of travel. Teleportation, flying, running, etc.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:54 pm   

Quote:

Advanced search: both by type (alias, trigger, etc.) and multi keyword.

Would be nice to do this straight from the filter, but otherwise this is already possible using All Classes, clicking the appropriate settings-type button, and using the filter. All Classes lists everything from everwhere, the settings-type button will only show items of that type, and the filter already supports multiple words of any number (and when you click the button it will then, obviously, filter out stuff not containing those words).

Quote:

The ability to scoll child windows without text being automatically redirected to them.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. You can already scroll back through any window open, but in no situation is new text sent to this window just from activating the scrolback feature. In fact, no text at all is sent to a child window unless your triggers send it there. You can manually redirect mud output to a child window using #MAKEWINDOW redirect, but this feature does not have an automatic counterpart (that's all hardcoded in the connection routines). Perhaps you are mistaking the scrollback pane flickering upon creation as new text being sent to the window?

Quote:

a smart wizard for chat/tells/etc. I can't believe we have to code this stuff from zero. Even a feature like #c+ {until color changes} might help.

This already exists, I think. However, I've never actually seen this feature so I couldn't even begin to tell you where to find it or how to use it.

Quote:

More control over creating multiple child windows.

Err, multiple windows created at one time (ie, #WINDOW Tells Chats Health)? Or just more control over window creation while sticking to the one at a time method (see the #MAKEWINDOW command, which is still suffering from Windows-related bugs)?

Quote:

On Nexela's comments about the mapper, consider adding in the following, not just flying and mounted, but water rooms. We need ways to effect large groups of rooms by type. Some characters might be able to swim while others can drown. Some might need to avoid

ZMud is not getting any of the ZMapper native functionality other than for translative purposes (in other words, ZMud can read a zmapper map but can't create one or extend an existing one's type library and suchlike), so if you want different types of rooms you need to download and register Zmapper. As for how different characters are affected by room conditions, that's something that's a lot more feasible with scripting than trying to build it into the mapper (and the scripting already is included in ZMud).

Quote:

Travel modes. Drop the assumption that people walk everywhere and build in system support for other modes of travel. Teleportation, flying, running, etc.

This already exists. #TELEPORT allows you move the blue dot to any room in the mapper. #PORTAL allows you to set up portal exits (any that require any command to arrive at other than the 8 directional commands). Triggers allow you to identify and force zmud to move you to a given room at a particular time, and all of this can be done via room/zone/walk scripts contained within the map itself.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:44 pm   

Zugg,
I just had an idea for a feature. How about port forwarding integrated into ZMud.
It would be a monthly charge to have. You would need to set up a machine that subscribed users can use to forward too.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:34 pm   

What would "port forwarding" be used for? I'm not going to do anything to bypass corporate firewalls if that's what you are talking about.
slamboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:09 pm   

AesirMergera wrote:
Portability.

I would sell my arm for a portable version of Zmud that I could just slap on a thumdrive and move to any computer without them taking my license.

Ok, maybe not my arm, I need that to type. But certainly my leg!

I couldn't agree more.
Phlux
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:37 pm   

I have two ideas.

The first is to create an option to remove the split-screen child window for scrollback. I for one find it highly annoying most of the time and would like to be able to scroll my whole window backwards.

Second is a complex feature that would be very useful, in my opinion, for MUDs of various types that have consistent output formats.

There would be an editor of sorts where you could copy and paste a block of text, for example your score screen, or an inventory, or a status display of some kind.

You would paste it into the field and then you would draw boxes around all of the areas with text you'd like to have captured each time you type the command that brings up that particular status screen.

These fields could then be populated into text boxes on a user-built tab, so at any time a user could glance at their status tab, click a button to send their various commands and get all of their data fields updated, so that they can see their vital status, inventory, money, items, etc on one screen, and they didn't have to write code to capture the text they wanted, they just drew boxes around it and dragged and dropped some text fields.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: