Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kevlar
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:02 pm   

automapper on an oddball MOO

so i've been on this MOO for literally years, and have never been able to get the auto-mapper to work. legend tells that someone got it to work on the MOO but i don't know who that was, nor if it was true. i think part of the problem is that the number of paragraphs in a room description verys greatly depending on where you are. that and when you leave one room to another, you get a message telling you what you just did (you cross the street to the north). most rooms have the following:

enter room message
room name
room description paragraph 1
room description paragraph 2
exits

but some have as much as:

enter room message
room name
room description paragraph 1
room description paragraph 2
bots or other players in near by rooms message
bots or other players message
bots or other players in vehicles message
season message (yes, like it's fall or winter... i know... don't ask.)
weather message
exits

if i'm reading the help config correctly, the 'exits' in the last example would be paragraph 0. how would i let the auto mapper know that the room name would be anywhere from paragraph 3 to paragraph 8.

that and something really messes with the following, i think it's the enter room message. a few years ago i built a map by hand, and was able to have automapper follow it as long as i only walked 1 room at a time, but if i tried to fast walk or slow walk it would move 1 room and exit the walking.

the moo is located at

cs.vv.com 7777

you can connect as a guest and walk around a bit to see what i'm talking about.

i've thought about manually gaging all the extra junk that spams and seems to confuse the mapper, but not sure if that will work.

any help would be great,
thanks,
kevlar
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:56 pm   

You may have to look up a script I posted in the finished scripts area. It was specifically designed to parse out room information for one particular mud that the automapper would not work for with decent consitency. It is one of the most most complex mapper integrations I have ever written, and I won't really help to customize it for other muds. The way it works is to completely override the mapper. If I recall it doesn't even use #TAG, it uses its own room creation routines; and insert all the correct data. The largest drawback to using it is I designed it to work with the outputs provided to me as a low level imm on that mud. I was made an imm just so the mud could be mapped and they were quite sure that no one else was going to handle it.
kevlar
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:06 am   hrrm...

ok, reading further in the automapper help files...

looks like there is something called #nomap which i will be able to use instead of gaging which will allow me to see the messages but still have the automapper ignore them.

came across another issue though which i am thinking will have a simple solution that i'm just not finding right away.

two rooms are connect by exits called "out" and "rent"

am i just not seeing something simple on how to make a custom exit?
GaidinBDJ
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:02 pm   

Another little trick that works is if you can set ansi variables for all the different parts of the description/people/dirs, it helps alot.
kevlar
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:05 am   yet another problem...

so i think i found another bump in the road here... the room names are as follows:

High Street (in New Carthage)
or
Corner of Hitachi and High (in New Carthage)

i'm thinking the use of the ( and ) characters are causeing problems with the automapper... i checked the Preferences - Special Characters but neither the ( or ) were used.

is there another place i can look?

or some other trick i can try?

thanks in advance.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:02 am   

You will have to #TRIGGER the room name lines and #TAG them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: