Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
eupher
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:01 am   

Access violations with Zmud 7.11a and windows xp pro

I just upgraded to 7.11a and whenever I try to open a character I get the following error exactly 6 times:

Access violation at address 007FBBFD in module 'Zmud.exe'. Read of address 00000889.

After that it let's me play. I've tried disabling all my settings, rebooting, renaming my .mud file and starting with a fresh character with default settings, and connecting in offline mode... none of this helped.

Thanks!
Darkwytch
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:49 am   

I get the same thing.. I dont know whats going on.. Could someone help with this or tell us what to do?
Zodican
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:37 pm   

Also happens to me whenever a new window is opened, whether it be opening a character or a window opening due to a #capture trigger.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:38 pm   

How about posting more details so we can have some chance to figure out whats going on??? I mean, come on people, do you think I haven't tested this or something. It works fine on all of my systems here, so you need to at least post:

1) What version of Windows are you running
2) Have you tried doing a fresh install to a new directory
3) What version of zMUD were you using before the upgrade.

Also mention whether or not you are using a Layout file for your character.
eupher
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:02 pm   

Zugg wrote:
How about posting more details so we can have some chance to figure out whats going on??? I mean, come on people, do you think I haven't tested this or something. It works fine on all of my systems here, so you need to at least post:

1) What version of Windows are you running
2) Have you tried doing a fresh install to a new directory
3) What version of zMUD were you using before the upgrade.

Also mention whether or not you are using a Layout file for your character.

1) Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
2) Yes, I just tried that and got the same errors.
3) 7.05

I don't know how you check on the layout file, but I just did the fresh install. If you need me to check that further just let me know how.

Thanks again.
Darkwytch
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:34 pm   

I too have microsoft windows xp professional version 2002 service pack 2
and I did the same as the other person. I had 7/05 as well.. I did a norton goback to prior to installing it.. it works fine now..

This is what I have my zmud laid out as.. I play a mud where i use several capture windows and three adittional windows to connect for different characters if i wish... Now I have that lay out saved as one complete lay out where all I doit click on the lay out name in the directory it gives us for muds that we want to connect to.. then I click offline (i dont like to connect to the mud on three seperate character windows at one time. thatw the reason I connect offline) Now this is where it gets interesting.. When it starts to open.. I get this.. Popup window saying there is an Access violation at address 007FBBFD in module 'Zmud.exe'. Read of address 00000889. mind you the first set of numbers is not always the same.. but the last set of numbers always are the same... 00000889

now when i click ok repeatedly.. it will open one of the capture windows.. then it pops up with another access violation... then i click ok on it a few times and another of my capture windows open.. ect ect.. same for each of the character connect windows for the mud... it takes like a good 15 to 20 clicks before the whole window opens up..

I dont know if it imported my settings from 7/05 wrong or... what... I honestly dont know how else to explain it..

But even when I would just use One charcter file.. It would still do the same thing. Even if I didnt use my layout file.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:12 pm   

I'm afraid I have no clue on this one. I can't get it to fail on any of my WinXP systems here, either on WinXP Home or WinXP Pro. I've tried with and without layouts and never get an error.

In the default installation, there is an icon called "Sample". If you click the Offline button for it, do you get the same error?

It looks like I'm going to need to hear from more people having this problem to determine the cause. Without being able to reproduce it will make it really hard to fix.
Big Jonny R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:50 pm   

i have a similar situation. when i try to map new rooms (i downloaded another player's map), it gives me a box that says:
"access violation at address 004D5364 in module 'Zmud.exe'. Read of address 0000000C"

I know when i first started using zmud i get map rooms, but i gave up and just dl'd someone else's. now i'm trying to add to it and it won't let me. same problem as the other one? problem because of the map i dl'd? btw, i updated my zmud today to the new version.
DaHart85
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:28 am   

I also run Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2.

I get the same error as the original post. When I open Zmud, I get the first screen that has where I select which presaved mud (Char) to open. It occurs AFTER I click on that and while it is attempting to open the thing. The error comes up 4-5 times and if you press Okay everytime it clears.

I have not yet tried a fresh path, but I instead installed it into the same place (C://Zmud) that I had previously had my Zmud in. It almost seems like it was missing a file when it went over the old stuff or it is XP Pro with some sort of preventative thing firing saying that it could be a harmful file.

Access violation at address 007FBBFD in module 'Zmud.exe'. Read of address 00000889.

I doubt there is any way for you to find it and I'm not much of a computer whiz, but if you want me to try anything feel free to email me at DaHart85@gmail.com or just post here and I'll try and watch it.
eupher
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:00 am   

Fresh installation... clicking "Offline" for the "Sample MUD" character:

I get four sets of the problem behavior (each set is 6 errors that I need to click "OK" for). I notied there are 3 tabbed windows and 1 db window, so it seems that the errors occur each time a window is opened. After one set then the next window appears and I get 6 errors and then the next window appears, etc.

Every single error has the exact same address, even across sets of errors.

Thanks again.
Darkwytch
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:48 am   

I got the same problem when i did that too... =\
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:14 am   

Big Jonny, just because it says "Access violation" doesn't mean it's the same error. That's Windows generic error message. This thread is talking about getting access violations when you first open a window for your character. It has nothing to do with errors in the mapper. That's a seperate issue and if you want to discuss it, you should open a new topic.

OK, back to the window open error. Since I can't reproduce this on a standard WinXP installation, tell me if you have any 3rd party software that might be modifying how Windows works, like WindowBlinds or other window enhancement software. Or anything you can think of that might be non-standard on your system.

It probably also doesn't hurt to report what Video card you are using, and if you are using any Theme different than the normal theme. Those are the only things I can think of that might have an effect on opening new windows.

You might also go into the Preferences and turn off the Windows XP Theme support to see if that makes any difference at all.
Darkwytch
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:42 am   

yes i have stardock installed on here.. it has one of the componants of window blinds. I also have nvicia gforce 5200 video card.. um ... lets see.. I think thats rather it.. I havent got any other things on here.. I just like to make my desktop a bit better looking. i use mozilla firefox and internet explorer.. just depending on what im looking at.. I have also winamp wmx real player and quicktime.. dont know if that would be any help.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4600i
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A09, 2/20/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 69.29 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
SONY CD-RW CRX216E
JLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HD166
PROCESSOR, 80546, 2.8, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 800, D0
eupher
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:00 am   

Ok, I tried turning off Windows XP theme support in preferences but I'm not even having any luck with that. I turn it off, save settings, and close the window. Then I try to open the character offline again and get the errors again. Then I go back to preferences and theme support is back on again. So I'm not sure if that would correct that problem if it would actually stay off.

My system is a dell inspiron 8600. Aside from whatever crap dell installed on here, I have installed:

Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1
iTunes 4.0.6.15
Microsoft Money 2003 11.0.50
Norton Antivirus 2004 10.0.1.13
Microsoft Office XP Professional 10.0.2627.01
Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (VSDOTNET) 8.00.761
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 - English
TeamSpeak 2 RC2 2.0.32.60
Turbo Tax Deluxe 2003 and 2004
Quicken 2004

My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro

I haven't changed the windows xp theme and have never even heard of the windows modifying software mentioned here.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:56 pm   

If you just press ESC from the main character screen to open a blank window do you get the same crash?

Also, do you get the error if you just type:

#WINDOW Testing

on the command line to open a new child window?
DaHart85
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:04 pm   

Yes, #WINDOW Testing gives me the same error. I have no mods to my windows other than various updates that windows gives off, like Service Pack 2 and what not. It's everytime Zmud opens a new window and that seems to be all that's affecting it. Is there any way to use the numbers it gives on the error to look up what the problem might be, according to my computer?

I also run a Dell Inspiron 5100, so whatever Dell put on here...
pelle412

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:07 pm   

I get exactly the same error as Big Johnny R reported but in a different situation. The error happens only when I have the mapper open and in the MUD window I type "more <somefilename.c>". A further narrowing of the error is that the mapper is in Map mode. The error doesn't happen in Off mode.
Darkwytch
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:20 pm   

Zugg wrote:
If you just press ESC from the main character screen to open a blank window do you get the same crash?

Also, do you get the error if you just type:

#WINDOW Testing

on the command line to open a new child window?

Sadly.. yes i get the exact same error... =[[
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:29 pm   

pelle412, as I told Johnny, this thread is about the error when opening a new window NOT when dealing with the mapper. The Access Violation is a generic error message. So please create a new topic to get help on mapper errors.

Back (again) to the error when opening a new window:

DaHart and Darkwytch, did you get the error when pressing ESC to open a blank window, or just when using #WINDOW, or when doing both? It wasn't clear from your posts.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:35 pm   

Also, if either of you are on AIM and have some time today to try a debug version interactively with me, email me your AIM number and I'll give it a try. It looks like I'm going to have to fill a version with various debug messages and then have you run it and tell me what messages you get. And it might take a couple of interations. So I need someone who is getting the window creation error who is willing to sit with AIM and immediately download and test new versions as I create them to try and fix this bug.
Darkwytch
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:02 pm   

how do we do that.. just email support@zuggsoft?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:22 pm   

Yep, email support@zuggsoft.com
eupher
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:31 pm   

I get the same errors for both tests: ESC from main character screen and #WINDOW Testing.

I'd be happy to do whatever you need to help debug. Sending you an email now...

Thanks again.
Darkwytch
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:00 pm   

alright I emailed support@zuggsoft.com with my aim s/n details
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:12 pm   

OK, looks like the issue is fixed in v7.12. It mysteriously went away, so one of the other fixes must have fixed it, or else it was a corrupted compile somehow.

Anyway, download the new 7.12 version and let me know if you have the same problem. Thanks to eupher for his help with this (he was the first one to send me an email ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: