Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:05 am   

Graphical Sprite system for zApp

In another topic, theNerd mentioned a Sprite graphics system that he thought would be good for zApp. Unfortunately, it turned out to be implemented in C++.

So, this thread is about Sprite systems written in Delphi that might be useful for zApp.

One such system is at http://www.silicmdr.com/TurboSprite.htm

In addition to a Delphi sprite system, he also has a Sound library that looks like what I've been looking for. It uses DirectSound for the wav file mixing, which would get me away from using the old sound library that zMUD uses for WAV files. I'll have to check and see if he supports more types of WAV files, since the zMUD system only supported uncompressed 8-bit sounds.

But the Sprite system looks pretty good. Don't be too put off by the simple graphics in his tutorials. His new version supports 16-bit color. But I like the interface and architecture that he has implemented. It looks like something that would work nicely with a scripting language.

I won't be doing anything with sprites for the first public release, but thought we should start a topic to discuss it anyway.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:29 am   

I think it's a great idea. I think it could be a lot of fun to incorporate something like this. It could be used for creating some simple but cool games and could extend zApp's target audience.

Here's an idea for a game: a top-down RPG (Moria with graphics) that is continuously updated by dynamically downloading ZML files from a web site (the extensions are created by other users.) For example, the user starts up zRPG and gets a list of all the available modules (levels, locations, players, stats, etc.) and downloads them. It is ever growing and changing and new levels can be edited and submitted from right within zRPG. Even add multi-player ability with networking. You get the idea.

(with out the intention of hijacking this thread I wanted to throw in the following):
Also, I noticed on the same web site that he offers some free components. One is called TDLLLoader which allows him to dynamically load Windows DLL's. Could this be used for accessing non-ActiveX DLL's in zApp? Perhaps you could take a quick look at it. I would really like to bundle non-ActiveX DLL's if I could (for the custom, CPU intensive routines.)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:24 am   

Don't tempt me. I'd love to create a game like that. But I'm afraid I already mentioned something about writing an email client Wink

And yes, I have some ideas about the DLL access idea. The tricky part is handling the parameter passing though.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:36 pm   

Well, at least you know what to do *after* you're done eMobius. Wink
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:20 pm   

In fact, when eMobius is done and things are going smooth that would make a great zApp community project!

Edit to Add:
Of course we would call it zRPG and have the *real* Zugg character in one of the dungeons. Smile
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:01 am   

It occured to me that this could be *very* useful for educational software.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:56 am   

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Confused Confused Confused
theNerd wrote:
Edit to Add:
Of course we would call it zRPG and have the *real* Zugg character in one of the dungeons.

theNerd wrote:
It occured to me that this could be *very* useful for educational software.

Teacher: "Now class, move your mouse pointer to the Zugg character, and right-click...has everyone clicked? Okay.
Jason, what options are available for you to select?

Jason: "Say hello to Zugg, poke Zugg with the walking stick, feed Zugg high-protein food, offer Zugg gold.

Susan: "Miss Brown!?! The Zugg character just winked at me. I think it's alive!"
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:50 am   

ROFL. That's the funniest thing I have read in a while. Thanks mr_kent for brightening up my evening!!

(Zugg pokes at Jason and mentions the "offer Zugg gold" option again ;)

actually, I should just stop. Chiara and I are laughing so hard, we can think of all sorts of crude things to add to this thread. Time to step away from the keyboard! Laughing
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:03 pm   

Laughing

Thanks mr_kent!
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:20 pm   

OK, someone's going to have to make this! That idea is just too good to pass up.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:56 am   

Yeah, we have to shrink down his forum avatar. Then figure out what he is hiding behind his back.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:09 pm   

Okay, to bring this thread back on topic. I think the sprite system could be useful for more than just games but could be used very effectively for educational software.

I also think it could be awesome for a massive RPG. Either developed as a commercial project by Zugg (after he's done eMobius, of course) or as a community project.

It can also be used for tomogachi style games.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:56 pm   

Card games are another easy to implement option that are popular and don't require a lot of horse-power (and are therefore suiteable for scripting systems)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: