Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Vorax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:55 pm   

Character setting won't read files.

I'm having some issues with getting one of my character settings to open files.

I have one character setting that works perfectly. It opens the file, gets what it needs from it, parses it and saves the info into variables. I copied the same script into another character and it doesn't read the file. In fact, it doesn't read any file.

I attempted many times to make it open and read any of the text files found in the zmud.exe folder and report the file size with the %filesize() function. Each time the result was 0. I tried the same thing on the other character setting and recieved the correct results. This leads me to believe that the one character setting is reading from a different directory. So, I moved one file into another directory and tried to get the file size again. Result was 0. I moved the file into many of the zMUD sub folders, each time the result was 0. (The file was moved, not copied, to keep track of where the settings were reading from if it did work.)

What I'm really wanting to know is how can I tell which directory the character settings are trying to read from?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:49 pm   

It's probably controlled from the Files tab of the character's properties.

Most scripts in this forum are written for Command Line entry.
Don't even open the Settings Editor unless its use is specified or obvious.
Vorax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:40 pm   

I thought that too, but I have the same settings in the files tab on both characters. The only difference is the character specific settings file that contains all the aliases, triggers, etc. for each character. It's quite odd.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:01 am   

Is there anything different in the Preferences of those two characters? It is quite odd and I'm grasping at straws hoping to find a solution for you.

Most scripts in this forum are written for Command Line entry.
Don't even open the Settings Editor unless its use is specified or obvious.
Vorax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:58 pm   

I checked both character's preference settings. These are the settings that differ.
General->Command Line: Show column unchecked, Strip " quotes checked for working character.
Script Parser->General Parsing: Echo commands, Echo scripts both checked on non-working character.
Colors->Color Scheme, Colors->Foreground Mapping: These differ slightly.
Tick Timer: 120 seconds for working character, 300 for non-working character. Display tick message checked on working character.

Another tid-bit of info:
I unchecked Strip " quotes in the working character's settings and the script no longer read the file correctly. I checked this option on the non-working character's settings and it didn't change anything, the character still didn't read the file. Checked it again on the working character and it again read the file correctly.
Pega
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:35 pm   

Perhaps the problem lies in the script, it could have been caused by improper script import or conflict with the current script.

Look away from the script for a minute.

Paste these three lines into your command-line, they should work correctly in both character windows:
Code:
#FILE 1 INSTALL.LOG
#SHOW %filesize(1)
#CLOSE 1

If they work, the problem evidently lies in the script itself.
Vorax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:37 pm   

Thanks for that example, Pega. It did work in both character settings. Apparently the problem was with the quotes around the file name. Removing the quotes on the non-working character remedied the problem. Now they both work. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: