Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ibwebb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:32 am   

HELP with SSH

I will not even begin to lie and say that I am very computer literate. Yet I have used ZMud for years and love it. I have never used anything else, but now find myself in a bit of trouble. I have accepted a position on the staff of a new MUD as a builder and admin and I have need to access the server which requires SSH. I know little about it, but the IMPs have told me to use PUTTY. I downloaded this and found myself crying immediately for my ZMud. I have contacted Zuggsoft asking if there is anything I can do and they tell me it has something to do with a lisencing problem. Though I was also told by a source that there is a SSH "wrapper" that will work with ZMud so that you can use it. I have searched a bit for one, but my limited knowledge and lack of knowing anything about SSH have hurtt tjis terribly. If anyone can help me with this PLEASE do so. Remember though, please, that I am not very comp literate, so I am hoping that it is an easy process or well instructed one.

THANKS to any and all that try to help me.

ibwebb
ibwebb@yahoo.com
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:41 am   Re: HELP with SSH

My guess at your setup (run it by your admins):
Their box doesn't accept open telnet connections
You have to SSH in.
Once SSH'd in, you can telnet from the shell to the mud and your connection is accepted

Do a quick test by using putty to ssh into the server, and then from the commandline use Telnet to connect to the mud. If that works, then you're probably ok to do the following:

Use Putty for the tunnel and zMud for the client.

Start Putty.
Enter the Host Name and choose the SSH protocol
Click to the Connection|SSH|Tunnels option
Under source port, enter something like 6666
Under destination, put something like fooserver.com:1234
6666 should be a free port on your windows machine (don't use 1024 or under)
fooserver should be the mud server's name
1234 should be the port of the mud server (remember the colon)
Click Add, and you should see this tunnel in the "Forwarded Ports" list

Cick back to the "Session" item in the tree.
Type something like "tunnel to fooserver" in the "Saved Sessions" textbox.
Click "Save" and it will appear in the listbox below.

Click Open

Open zMud
Tell zMud to connect to 127.0.0.1 6666
(127.0.0.1 exactly, 6666 to be the same as whatever you used above)

That's it, and next time you can just start putty, click on "tunnel to fooserver" and hit "Load" to save reconfiguring everything.

What's happening is that you're creating a tunnel from a port on your machine (127.0.0.1:6666 over to the server, and from there the server connects it to the normal port for the mud)

127.0.0.1, on almost any networked machine, tells the machine to connect to itself. By default, Putty won't let any other machines use the port but there's a checkbox option to let them if you want to.

-Tarn
ibwebb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:21 pm   Answering my own question

First Thank you Tarn. Unfortunately I did not see your answer before getting this one. I am posting this for all the people out there in the same boat I was. This will let you use ZMud to get into any SSH Mud.

Below is step by step instructions to use Putty so that you may Log in to an SSH with ZMud. I am very low on the computer literacy chart, so pardon if this seems very basic, but I know that there are a lot of people out there that would like to be able to do this and cannot understand the complicated jargon that is used to explain it. Text in “<>” is where you need to put something in, “()” is extra info, and anyother words that are typed in after a command are to be taken literally. For instance, in a few places I have “Localhost” to be put in. It is actually the word “Localhost” not some other information. I had all this explained to me by a VERY great guy named Al from Canada. THANK YOU Al from me and all the people that are now happy that they can do this. OH, by the way, I have followed this and it worked seamlessly so be reassured that you are on your way.

-Port Forwarding-

-Putty-

Open Putty
Goto “Connection”
Goto “SSH”
Goto “Tunnels”
Under “Port Forwarding”
Source Port: <make up #> (i.e. 4444)
Destination: Localhost:<MUD Port>
Click Add
Goto “Session”
Saved Session:<Name Session>
Host Name (or IP address):<Muds Hostname or IP>
Save Session
Double click to start new session
Login and put in password

-ZMUD-

Click “New”
Host: Localhost
Port:<# you assigned to source port on Putty>
Save
Start New connection
You should link in.
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:04 pm   

One more thing: You can create a shortcut icon on your desktop. The command line is:

putty -load [sessionname] -l [username]

No brackets, and the flag before username is a lower case "L". If there's anything unusual about the sessionname (very long, contains spaces, etc) put it in double quotes like "example session". You'll be prompted for a password.

You CAN have a complete command line with password

putty -load [sessionname] -l [uername] -pw [password]

but that's dangerous if other people have access to your computer.

-Tarn
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: