Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jtviper456
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:16 am   

Zmud Temporary Freeze

Seems when I goto connect to a mud(any mud), zmud locks up my computer for about 15-20 seconds. ZMud never seems to do this when I first install it, which makes me think it's something I'm doing wrong.
OS-----
Windows 2000 Server
256MB Ram
Pentium 4-1.6GHz
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:33 am   

That is not much information to go on. I would suggest trying to trace the problem to a single setting/preference. Start by renaming your zmud.ini, launch zMud, make a connection (if you still can).

If it is still slow then close zMud, delete the new zmud.ini and rename your old one back. You have now eliminated global preferences as the problem. Repeat the same process with global.mud, default.mud, and finally a characters .mud file. Once you know where the problem setting is then look in that file for what it is. Both global.mud and default.mud should contain only minimal settings and you would likely know if you modified them. Modifying them is not reccommended.

If you can not connect at all then you are using a proxy for connections and this is likely the source of the problem.

If the slow down was eliminated when zmud.ini was renamed then you should restore it as described above, launch zMud, and view the global preferences at the character selection screen. One of them is the problem.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:14 pm   

Another thing to think about is if you are using the *mud prompt* option in view->prefrences->mud prompt and it is incorrectly configured it WILL slow everything down so be sure to check this!, In fact I would avoid using that alltogether.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: