Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:33 am   

e-license annoyance

When installing zApp Pro the installer tries to register one of the COM .dll files at end of installation. This makes e-license popup asking you if you want to begin your free trial. Here you assume that it tries to start zApp - not register a COM object so you hit 'exit' as you want to run zApp after installation.

If you do it like this the object won't get registered and zApp won't run very well.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:35 am   

Blah. I was afraid of that. I'll have to talk to elicense about whether we can get this to work or not. This is our first experience trying to wrap DLL files. There needs to be a way to register it on the system without triggering the trial screen.

Thanks for testing this Rorso. This is getting harder and harder to test since once everyone gets it registered the first time, then it never causes any problems again in the future. I need to look at the REGSVR command and find out how to *un* register a DLL in Windows.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:04 am   

I found this. It might give some clues.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_activex_controls.3a_.distributing_activex_controls.asp
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:39 pm   

Yep, thanks for the link Rorso. As you can see in the sample code, they are calling "LoadLibrary". Well, when eLicense has wrapped a DLL file, any call to LoadLibrary causes the license to be checked, and if it's not licensed, the Trial screen is shown. eLicense has no way to tell the difference between the program, like zApp, calling LoadLibrary, vs the installer calling LoadLibrary.

So, there isn't any way around the trial screen in that case. REGSVR32 is always going to cause that.

What I'm going to have to do is tell the installer *not* to register the DLL, and then add the code to the installer to create all of the Registry keys for the COM object in the DLL manually. This will be a real pain, but should work in theory.

So, for now you will get the Trial screen at installation time, rather than run time. That's not a horrible problem, but just a rough edge that I'll try to improve later.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: