Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:28 am   

New site menu

As you can see, I'm experimenting with a new site menu. I am trying to combine the dynamic menu with the previous "forum" menu icons. So, there is a new "Site" menu that has all of the forum site stuff.

I'm hoping to eventually figure out how to make the contents of this menu dynamic depending upon whether you are logged in, but for now it's static.

I already notice that the Log out doesn't work without a valid session ID.

Other than that problem, if you notice a problem with the new menu, please post here. This menu system is *supposed* to work on all modern browsers and is entirely CSS based, so I'm crossing my figures that it works.

For those that are interested, I am using the Cooljsmenu system from http://javascript.cooldev.com/scripts/coolmenu/
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:44 am   

Hmm, already noticed that the older version of Firebird that I have doesn't seem to have any clue how to do CSS absolute positioning. The site logo is in completely the wrong place, and the text in the menu is messed up.

That's the only other browser that I have. If you have another web browser, please post it's status with this web site. I'm not going to go out of my way to support old browsers, but I'd like it to work with as many as I can.

But I'm not going to work around basic and obvious bugs like this CSS positioning bug that appears in Firebird v0.7
Vodoc
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:43 am   

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

That is the newest version of Firefox and yes, the text is positioned wrong. I'm not sure here but I think the problem is how IE and other browsers define inline elements and it's borders. IE has (as usual) taken on another way of doing it... Anyway, I remember having a similar problem and mine worked out by simply using style "display: block" for the offending elements. You might want to try that.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:38 pm   

Hmm, I'll check into it. It's possible that the position:absolute is being interpreted as still relative to the "parent" object, rather than direct screen coordinates. Since the Logo and menus are within some table elements, that might be messing them up. I'll move them out of the table and see if that helps.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:29 pm   

OK, well my main problem with the logos was that in my style sheet, I had left=0; top=0; instead of left:0; top:0; changing the = to : fixed the problem (mostly) in Firebird. IE just has a lazier parser.

However, there is still a problem in Firebird. It is *NOT* absolute positioning correctly. The vertical position is screwed up somehow. On the current page, I have the "compass" picture set at an absolute position of 0,0 and it is not inside any other elements. It is right after the start tag. It is positioned correctly in IE. But in Firebird, you'll see that the compass is positioned lower on the page than it should be.

This is the same problem that is causing the menu to be displayed lower than it should be. I don't know what's causing it but am open to suggestions.

(using display:block has no effect)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:45 pm   

OK, I found the problem. It appears that IE adds extra white space to the top of the page if you don't specify any margin settings in the BODY tag. So, I've put some margins in my CSS sheet, and now IE and Firebird both look correct. I also got this fixed on the eLicense store page.

So, at least these two browsers are working now.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:22 pm   

I like the new menu but is there any way we can have are Private message Icons back :P so I know when I have new priv messages without having to check my email first :P
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:27 pm   

The header and menus work well together. They are pleasing to look at. Cool The site is looking a lot more integrated and professional. It works well with Firefox, which is my default browser. Good job, Zugg!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:25 pm   

Yes, the Private Message will come back in the future. Right now the "Site" menu is static. It has the link for messages but can't show the number. Now that I have a better understanding of CSS, I plan to make this a dynamic menu in the future.

Until then, when you go to the main www.zuggsoft.com home page, in the box in the left column that says "Welcome nexela", it will display the number of private messages.

But I agree with the problem...it's a lot harder to see that then it was before, so it's definitely on my list to improve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: