Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
squimp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:27 am   

zMUD not starting all of a sudden: error init db engine

I recently intalled some installed some (auto update) Windows XP updates, and suddenly zMUD refused to start after a reboot Crying or Very sad. I got the 'Error initializing database enginge' window, and I'm still getting it even after re-installing MDAC and Jet. I also tried to re-install zMUD, but with no apparent result. And yeah, I'm still on SP1 since I want to evaluate SP2 stability before installing it.

Anyone know what might have caused this, and/or know of any remedies?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:04 pm   

I'm afraid your XP update did something bad to your MDAC/Jet installation. And since the Microsoft installers for MDAC try to be too smart and will not install if it detects that you have the latest version, there is no easy way to update it without messing with the system registry.

Sometimes running the MDAC installer multiple times will help. I don't know why but one time it worked only after the 3rd time I updated MDAC on a system that was messed up.

I don't know if SP2 includes another MDAC update or not, but I've been running SP2 around here for over a month and haven't encountered any problems with it.

For detailed instructions on MDAC, go to http://www.zuggsoft.com/data or to get the latest MDAC, try http://www.microsoft.com/data
squimp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:48 pm   

Thanks for your answer Zugg.

I had to install SP2 - after all, who can survive more than a day without zMUD Laughing - and it did the trick. A newer MDAC is apparently included in SP2. I did try to uninstall the old MDAC before applying the service pack, but unfortunately the inf file was corrupted (for whatever reason), so I could not check if that was a better way of solving the problem. No time to post more, got mudding to do Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: