Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:42 pm   

New bbcode tags added

In order to support easier writing of articles, I have added some new tags to the bbcode syntax of this forum. Here are the new tags:

[dl] [/dl]
Starts and ends a Definition list (HTML <dl>..</dl>)
[-]
Indicates that the following text is a Definition Term (HTML <dt>)
[=]
Indicates that the following text is a Definition Definition (HTML <dd>)
[head]
Makes a heading line, similar to HTML <H3>
[[article name]]
Creates a hyperlink to the given article title in the Knowledge Base
[[article name]link text]
Also creates a link to the given article name, but the link text is the text that is shown as the link

I also added a way to specify a [ and ] and \ character by using the \ as an escape character. So, to put a [ bracket into the text without it getting parsed as the start of a bbcode entry, use \[ instead. \] makes a ] and \\ makes a single \.

I hope you find these additions useful. I've never understood why the Definition List gets so ignored by web programs. Not even DreamWeaver properly supports it. And you never see it listed as one of the supported list types in various web-editors. And yet I find it one of the most useful HTML constructs when writing documentation.

The new links give me more of a "Wiki" feature that will make it a lot easier to create documents that are all linked together in the Knowledge Base.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:29 pm   

I also found some bugs in the Knowledge Base in handling " ' < and > characters within text that used BBCodes. Since this bug doesn't seem to happen in the normal forum, it's a bug specific to the knowledge base, but my method of handling it in the bbcode.php file might have an adverse effect on the normal forums. So, if you notice anything wierd about how these special characters are handled in new or existing posts, please let me know and post a link to the specific message that is having trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: