Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems Goto page Previous  1, 2
Rorso Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:22 pm
Where is the [zscript] tag? =)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:43 pm   

Rorso, I can see where you are coming from. But I think you are putting too much into that GPL thinking. While you can certainly have your own interpretation of the license, that is certainly *not* how licenses are legally enforced. There haven't been very many legal cases like this yet, but so far the cases I have seen actually resolved are pretty reasonable. Yes, you can get paranoid about this. Consider the following case:

I have a book on algorithms that shows how to do a Quicksort routine in Delphi. So I use that in my code. The license on the CD from the book says that the code from the book can be used freely for any purpose. OK, but where did the author learn about Quicksort? Did he read the Knuth Computing series of books and take the core algorithm from there? Did he learn it in school from a teacher or from another text book? Did he learn about it on the Internet from some web site? Who knows. Does that mean I can't use his algorithm in my commercial project? Absolutely not.

Just because one person says something is GPL doesn't mean that everything related to it is automatically GPL in a legal sense. For example, I can even take what Nexela said about phpBB. What if I have a corporate database and create my own phpBB module to display information from that database on my corporate web site. Does that mean I have to release the source code to my corporate database as GPL? Of course not. That is still protected as proprietary information, as is the plugin that I wrote.

Just because the phpBB license *says* that any module created for it has to be GPL doesn't make it legally binding. If people started trying to enforce some of the silly licensing they are trying to do, they would quickly find themselves in a much more complex situation. It is not nearly as clear cut as the GPL proponents want to wish that it is.

The closest thing to all of this that has longer history to draw precedent from is books. If you write a romance novel, does that violate the copyright of another romance novel? Of course not. It has to be more specific than that. What if you read a romance novel in the past and forgot about it and then wrote a new book with the same plot? Is that a violation? Maybe. If the original author can show that your plot and characters is the same as a previous work to a great extent, then he might have a case. But it has to be really specific. As an example, there is a sci-fi book series by Jack Chalker that uses the concept that we are living in a computer simulated world. The first book reads a lot like the Matrix movies. But Chalkers book was written well before Matrix. Did the makers of Matrix "steal" the idea from Chalker? Some people like to argue this, but in the *legal* sense, they did not. The characters were different, the plot was different, even though the "concept" was similar.

When you deal with actual legal cases, "intent" is often very important. If someone used a copyrighted work in their own work without aquiring permission, then it's a copyright violation. But if you accidentally create the same source code as someone else, as long as you can show your original notes and work, then you are fine and it is *not* a copyright violation. That is why documentation of research project is so important, so that you can show that your own work is original.

In your case, if you wrote the zscript code yourself and did not use a 3rd party parser component, then you are fine. You said you "did it from memory". That's what matters. You didn't copy someone elses code. You didn't use someones copyrighted parser. You wrote it yourself. That makes it yours and you can do what you want with it.

So, you can say "you can use this code for whatever you want, but it's not supported". That means that you don't need to respond to suggestions or bug fixes. You have released the code "as is" for any purpose. But that's a bit open-ended. For example, that would allow me to take the code and sell it myself. So, you might say "you can use this code for whatever you want, but you should give me credit for the work, and it's not supported". With that condition, I would have to give you credit in whatever project I used it. You could also specifically release it with only the condition that it be used on the zuggsoft.com forum site and for no other purpose. You can make the license conditions as open or as closed as you want.

But don't get too paranoid about this. Yeah, I've seen a bunch of situations where people "accuse" someone else of stealing code. The MUD community is full of this kind of stuff. In some cases it's pretty obvious because if you look at the source code, you have routines with *exactly* the same variable names, bugs, etc. That's a clear case of copyright violation. But there are other cases where people are accused falsely with no evidence to back it up. Just because something looks similar doesn't mean it's a copyright violation. You have to look at the source code and show that it came from the same original author.

So, some people are going to accuse other people no matter what you do. They are the same people who spend their time flaming posts in newsgroups, or trolling forums, or annoying you in a game. Some people just like to cause grief like this. Don't let that get to you. If you have a clear conscience that the code is your original creation, then that's what matters.

Well, that's probably enough senseless rambling from me too Wink
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:04 pm   

Quote:

any mods used on ANY phpbb install have to released under the gpl as they will use parts of the phpbb code

Can you link us to the article?

Do you actually have to release a MOD, I would have thought you can keep MODs private but if you wanted to release them you'd have to use GPL?

Quote:

Do I want to release the source code to the zScript colourizer? I think I want to but there is also that "feeling" warning me not to do so.

C'mon, this is Zugg you're talking about being scared of... he's a big, cuddly orc-type-thing (and a really great guy), you can't be scared of that! ;)

Quote:

Consider that there is a limited number of ways anything can be written under any language.

Code:

for( int i = 0; i < 10; i++ ) {
  // pay tax to bill gates for using his 'for' loop
  // or make the source GPL for using their 'for' loop
}

Copy from one: plagiarism. Copy from many: research.

I think that's a fitting tagline to be plagiarised...
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:25 pm   

Actually I think that is for released mods I'll look later to see if I can remember where I read it
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:17 pm   

nexela wrote:
Actually I think that is for released mods I'll look later to see if I can remember where I read it

I think it requires all source code to be distributed as GPL. To link/include non GPL code in a GPL project it has to be GPL-compatible. The ultimate goal of the GPL though is that all programs should be GPL. People complain about piracy but that can be controlled. The GPL cannot. I think there's even special GPL lawyers out there preparing to defend it.

I have pondered a lot on if I should release the colourizer or not. While I want to release it, as I think it could benefit the zMUD community, I know that it would sooner or later be linked to the GPL. The idiotic thing of it is that releasing something I have made could be good for me to reduce my fears. Still the very fact is a contradiction of my views on the GPL.

I don't dislike Zugg or anything like that and I do trust him for most parts. It is the GPL that I am scared of.

It would have been different if I had decided to release it just to release it to the zMUD community as whole without the specific intent to be used in the zMUD forums. In this case it is more that the intent is to get the feature into the boards though which is why I feel even more in an ethical rumble.

I'm pretty sure some other zMUD user like for example the zMUD gurus could write a syntax colourizer if they feel it would be a nice addon to the forums and don't have a dislike towards the GPL. I think it just took me about 20 hours to code it, and I am a slow newbie coder :-).

Again I am really sorry for not releasing the code Crying or Very sad. Sometimes I dislike my strong ethical fears of licenses. They have probably stopped me to code a lot of fun stuff.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:03 pm   

Quote:
The ultimate goal of the GPL though is that all programs should be GPL

Yes, that is their "goal". But it's not going to happen. It isn't legally enforceable, at least not by US laws. See my example about a corporate database plugin for phpBB. Just because phpBB is GPL and says all modules must be GPL does not require the corporation to make their database GPL just because it "touches" phpBB. There have been lots of discussions of this on SlashDot and various other places. The desire of the GPL community just isn't possible under the existing laws.

Your fear of GPL is a great example of why I think the whole GPL mentality is a "bad thing" in the long run. If creative programmers are going to feel contrained to *not* release their work because of a license like this, then we end up with less quality software in the long run.
Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:50 pm   

Quote:
The ultimate goal of the GPL though is that all programs should be GPL

This is not the goal of the GPL. Some people(certainly not all) that support the GPL may have this goal, but the goal of the GPL itself is to ensure that the specific software released under it is not taken over and re-released in a closed source manner(modified or un-modified), or under some other license.

The GPL is not the downfall of personal control of the software you write. In fact, the whole point of the GPL is so that someone who want's to release the code to other's for free can do so without fear that someone will take their code and try to sell it, or re-release it under license restrictions that only benifit themselves, and not the community at large.. which brings me to my next point:

You use the GPL if open access to the code for everyone is what you want to start with. If that isn't what you want to do(ie. keep your code as your own for whatever reason), then you wouldn't use the GPL.

Your code wouldn't be taken over.
This was the main thing you were afraid of--that your code would be sucked into the GPL. It wouldn't be.
I just read through the license at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html .
What it says is that if Zugg wanted to re-release the BBS(distribute the code or program to other people) he would have to:

1. Release your part of the code under the GPL first. (Your permission would be needed, unless you had given the code totally freely to him)

2. Release your part of the code as seperate works under a license you choose along side the bbs code. (Your permission would be needed for this too)

Either way, if you had told Zugg that he could not give out your code, he would be breaking the law(he's such a criminal;) if he did it, and your code still wouldn't be GPL'd, since it was released as such illegally.

Basically, Zugg can change the code all he wants, and doesn't have to worry about the GPL one way or another unless he want's to try and sell or re-distribute the BBS software, which I very much doubt he's inclined to do.

I *highly* recommend reading parts 1. and 2. at the link I gave above, as that is what I've been referring to in this post:)

If any of this doesn't make sense, or is flat out wrong, please let me know!

Nezic

-Also, I wanted to toss in that I think the GPL is a very nice option to have if your goal in releasing source code is the same as what the GPL was built for.

-Another side note.. Something to REALLY be concerned about is software patents(and business method patents). They're being horded up by the big conglomerates and IP holding companies(who probably had nothing to do with coming up with the idea in the first place) to make money purely by litigation and choking off competition. blah.. I'd better cut myself off. (Can you tell I read slashdot?;)
Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:14 pm   

I was reading a bit more about the GPL, and saw a few things I wanted to add.

First, it looks like you CAN sell copies of GPL'd code, see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html for details if you're curious.

Two directly related FAQ listings I found:

"Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public?"
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

"I would like to release a program I wrote under the GNU GPL, but I would like to use the same code in non-free programs."
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ReleaseUnderGPLAndNF

I found out that you still maintain Copyright ownership of the code. So, even if you did release it under some kind of license, you retain ownership of the copyright and can still use it however you like (Including issuing it out under other licenses, I believe).

Nezic

I'd better stop researching this and get on my homework:P
Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:43 pm   

I hope I didn't kill the thread. Neutral

Nezic
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:01 pm   

No, you didn't. Thanks for the useful links. I am always interested in learning more about this as well.

I think it is pretty clear that the code Rorso wrote is his and he can do what he wants with it. I think that there was some concern that he might be forced to make it GPL because it acts as a MOD to existig GPL (phpbb) software. But from reading the links you gave, I think it's pretty clear that this isn't the case and that Rorso would always maintain the ownership of his code and the right to do what he wants with it.

At this point I'm not actually sure if Rorso is afraid of the phpBB GPL, or if he's afraid of me somehow. I hope he's not afraid of me and I think the links above show that his code would not get sucked into the phpBB GPL unless he wanted it to.

And yes, software patents are really scary. I actually know a software patent lawyer. It seems that copyright laws were too vague and so many people and groups seeking money have started down the patent path because it's rules are more well defined for traditional patents and can be horribly twisted in the world of software. They are taking advantage of a system that was never designed for this kind of stuff. I'm not sure how they are going to fix the patent system to deal with these new abuses and yet still keep it intact as the protection for intellectual property it was originally designed for. It's going to take several big cases to decide precident in this and I just hope they find some reasonable judges that really understand the long-term ramifications of what they are doing.

Too bad we just can't have a "common sense" rule. "I'm sorry, you are obviously being greedy and trying to abuse the patent system. Case thown out. Next!" But no, we can't trust people to have common sense any more.

The amount of time and resources our society spends on "bad" people is truely staggering.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:09 am   

I am a bit tired now as I didn't get much sleep tonight but I am still going to try to answer. First of all I don't dislike you Zugg. I consider you to be a friend.

It is true that the GPL scares me though.

Quote:

This is not the goal of the GPL. Some people(certainly not all) that support the GPL may have this goal, but the goal of the GPL itself is to ensure that the specific software released under it is not taken over and re-released in a closed source manner(modified or un-modified), or under some other license.

That is what you might think :-). I consider the GPL to be the tool to make their philosophy a reality. The GPL is just a door to their system but the exit out is blocked with thick locks. Their definition of "freedom" is very odd and twisted to only suit their own needs. While the philosophy, that programs should be free, is a beautiful one it is far from reality.

To learn to write programs you need a lot of stuff. Not only a compiler but in general you might need some books, and perhaps an education. Now the issue is that neither books or educations are cheap. While studying you have atleast to pay for stuff like books, food, and perhaps rent. So a lot of people have to take loans.

Say now you have done this and you are now a software developer. Congratulations :-). However then you realize that all programs are supposed to be free. Your hope to ever be able to pay back those loans is then no more. Actually where would you work? As you should make free programs who would hire you?

Now let's take a look at what would happen if zMUD was GPL. Zugg would have to close his company and seek other employment. While zMUD itself might survive from free programming as it would be open source Zugg himself would get into big trouble. In fact he might in a way be thrown out of his own project. I doubt Zugg could support zMUD by selling T-Shirts like the larger open source software companies does Mr. Green. I base this on the fact that Zugg often says that without eLicense zMUD would not be possible.

If you take a look at the free software foundation website some you'll start noticing this reoccuring pattern that software should be free, it is ethically tainted to release non free software, one should never link to a non free software webpage, and so on. These are very strong opinions. While I can understand their point of view to a very small degree, I don't support them. Don't get me wrong though. The idea of free software is a wonderful idea and I like it a lot but I don't like how fsf is trying to enforce it because then it is no freedom at all. A true freedom isn't that to be able to make choices as you wish?

Now what does this have to do with my script? A lot. Just as it is ethicaly tainted according to them to release non free programs it is ethicaly tainted for me to support their cause by improving free software. It isn't just what the GPL says - it is also that organizations philosophy that has to be taken into account. Their main philosophy is simple. All programs should be free. As the opinions on the webpage is quite strong I suspect the GPL to reflect them. That is if they can't get you to write free software they'll probably try to force you to.

Of course this clashes with my opinion that attempts should be made to improve Zuggsoft. In the end though the choice must be to make what I feel makes me feel least worried and that is sadly to avoid "free software". While I don't expect everyone to understand me I atleast hope I have managed to show that this has nothing with Zugg or Zuggsoft to do. If I had disliked Zuggsoft I wouldn't be on the forums as much as I am. Neither would I have made a translation of zMUD on the hopes that it would increase popularity of zMUD. This is related to a shock I got that made me go into a paradigm shift.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:51 pm   

Thanks for clarifying this Rorso. I think I have a much better picture of where you are coming from on this now. I agree with a lot that you have said. I don't take it quite as far as you do, but I definitely understand. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to GPL when the younger people that tend to support it "grow up" and try to find a *real* programming job that pays them real money.

As you said correctly, "users" would love it if zMUD were free. But then I'd be gone. So, would zMUD ever exist in the first place? How many quality programs have not been written because of this?

On a lighter note...Hmm, I *do* have some t-shirts I could sell...hmmm....
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:02 am   

Yeah, I was going to say "if Rorso won't give you the source code for his zscript highlighter, I'll write ya one for a tshirt" *halo*

I do need a new tshirt anyway, my 'All Your Base' tshirt has faded. My 'Devil Doll + Radiskull' tshirt has started getting holes in it. My 'Final Fantasy 8' tshirt is threadbare. My 'Dungeon Siege' tshirt always was 1 size to small and I've put on more weight recently. All these nerdy shirts are falling into disrepair. I'll hafta go to www.thinkgeek.com and buy some for myself instead of my girl hehe (girls look good in nerdy shirts btw Wink).
slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:25 pm   

I like my now discontinued tshirt I got from www.thinkgeek.com which had a modified VW logo that was instead WWW and said 'Hackers Wanted' below it. I also have the 'reenigne esrever' ('reverse engineer' reversed) tshirt.

If you really want a free tshirt, sign up for a microsoft event one month and go. Last time I went, I nabbed 2 tshirts (one technet and one msdn).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: