Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Eowyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:39 pm   

Keeping variable names unique?

If I make a subfolder and put an alias named a and a variable named b in that subfolder, creating a new alias named a and a variable called b in the main folder woun't overwrite the alias and variable in the subfolder.

I now have two aliases named a and two variables called b.

I understand this has been done to avoid ppl messing up their own scripts etc. but is there a way to overrule it? Can I overwrite my old aliases and variables as default?

A "Do you want to overwrite this alias/variable" question or somthing would be even better.

I tend to amass a lot of garbage aliases/variables which I end up error-searching for when a script suddenly don't work because I've got a variable with the same name elsewhere.
megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:10 am   

I could think of a few ways to do this but all would be very anoying.
When making a var or alias it should overwrite any in the same class as it.
However if you have b var in a class a and a b var in class c then I can see the confusion.
Your talking about a catalog so you don't accidently write the same var or alias.
Two small ways to keep track......

Don't make the same var or alias
When making a class name like #class mystuff
give the var or alias a name like MyA or MSa or MyB or MSb
to keep it all simple.

The other is to create a database either a var or a real database to keep track of it all.

Good luck
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:28 am   

I tend to browse the main folder quite a lot while scripting. Sometimes I just put everything I'm doing in there for simplicity. When I finish creating whatever I've been working on, I create a subfolder and move the settings into it.

When I find that multiple settings are being created when I only intended to change or modify an existing one either directly or through a script, I delete the setting in the subfolder and move the new setting from the none class, into the appropriate subclass. This almost always ensures that future changes modify the correct setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: