Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Seldon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:58 pm   

Map Room values getting messed up in large map databases

I'm not sure where to put this, so let me know if it needs to go somewhere else.

My friends and I are working on a map of the MUD we play and are trying to map as much as we can of it. One thing we have tried to do is to map the world map which is an ANSI pictorial representing rooms with different terrain types or markers for zones. The thing about the world map is that it is huge.

One problem we have noticed is that as the rooms in our .mdb file gets bigger (we have just started to create rooms with room numbers in the 30000s now..) our room colors and room cost values in some rooms become corrupted; they change their room colors and values.

This MAY be a function of our triggers, but I doubt it. We use the following type of trigger for coloring and adding room cost:
#TRIGGER {Your current terrain is: Forest.} {#VAR stuff %roomcol( %roomnum( ), $008200);#VAR stuff %roomcost( %roomnum( ), %int( 2));#UNVAR stuff}

This MAY be caused by a third party program we found to import individual zones into a .mdb file (called ZoneCopy - we needed a way to share the latest zone we had created with everyone else) but we really haven't seen any corruption directly after its use - just when we are actually creating new rooms for a zone.

The Room Name does not change, the Room Exits do not change; just the Room Color and the Room Cost. It seems to be the oldest rooms that get rewritten as well.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Does anyone know what is going on? At the moment, our current strategey is to keep backups of the untainted maps and then replace the tainted ones once we get all the zones for the continent we are working on completed, but this is not exactly a satisfactory solution. If there is a better way to deal with this, please let me know.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:49 am   

My best guess as to what is happening is that you have duplicate vNums in your map now. Since %roomnum() returns the current rooms vNum but useing %roomcol(vNum) locates the earliest room in the map with a matching vNum you are changing the wrong room. The simplest change is to eliminate the references to %roomnum so that %roomcol and %roomcost will work on the current room automatically. The best thing to do is use a renumbering script to correct the problem. I know there is a renumbering script floating around in the forums, simply search for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: