Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion
Jadekhan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:22 am   

Worlds of Warcraft

With some of nice maps out. I've been attepting to use AC explorer as a base for WoW. new world maps

http://img69.exs.cx/img69/8567/Azeroth.jpg
http://img69.exs.cx/img69/5758/Kalimdor.jpg
http://etudiant.univ-mlv.fr/~vrebeix/AzerothFlight.jpg
http://etudiant.univ-mlv.fr/~vrebeix/KalimdorFlight.jpg

using zmapper i've converted these files into the nessacery dbs fills np.
I'am assuming these files were just exported from the database files of WoW beta content and the mods have not had an issue with there posting so have fun.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:44 am   

Cool, thanks for that. I'm in the middle of another project right now so I don't know when I'll get to this. Have they announced when WoW will go public yet? I won't be able to do anything official with this until they do.
Jadekhan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:10 am   

Games is not scheduled for release till around mid November. Info on it is fine since WoW has no NDA like past games.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:06 pm   

Thanks for the info. I knew about their non-NDA policy (which I think is great). But I've noticed in the past that the more I play a game, the better the zExplorer support for it is. So, not a lot will get done on this until they go public and I can play myself Wink
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:01 pm   

Well, I've been able to play WoW in the Open Beta this week. The problem with supporting WoW in zExplorer is the lack of any kind of /loc command or visible coordinate system. While the world appears to be a seamless one while playing, it really is actually zone based, with the zone boundries hidden as you play. But unlike AC, AC2, Horizons, etc, there is not a single coordinate system for the whole world map...coordinates seem to be local to your particular zone or area.

There is a site at http://www.thottbot.com that seems to have extracted the game data into a database and has some maps showing locations of NPCs etc. From their method it looks like you can install them as a 3rd party tool to activate some sort of loc command within your zone.

With that site already existing, and with the ingame map system actually quite good, I don't see a big need for zExplorer supporting WoW at this time. They also already do a good job in-game with corpse recovery on the map. And there just wouldn't be any easy way for people to submit what they find in the game since there is no way to know what your current coordinates really are.

Perhaps my efforts with AC Explorer and zExplorer are finally paying off and the companies making these games are seeing the importance of in-game mapping. I remember when I first played AC1 and was so lost that I didn't even know where to go next or where to find the nearest lifestone, or how to get to a particular city. Well, WoW is way beyond that. So far I haven't had any problems with getting lost or not knowing how to get somewhere. The existing travel maps make it pretty clear how to get from one place to another once you are at a level to need to travel extensively.

Anyway, a long post to essentially say that I don't plan to do anything with zExplorer and WoW, even though it looks promising that I'll be playing WoW myself for quite some time.

Oh, and if you see any character playing with the name "Zugg", it's an imposter. When I tried to create that character it told me that the name was already taken. So if you see someone in the game with this name, give them lots of grief, or turn them in for violation of the EULA since it states that impersonating someone else is against the rules. People who do this aren't worth playing with. Then again, maybe this is only a problem during the free open beta and won't be an issue when people actually have to pay to play.

Still haven't had any time to evaluate EQ2 yet. I haven't found any way to try it for free yet since I didn't get into their beta. Not sure if I want to pay for the client only to determine that it's not my style. But based upon what I've read, I doubt I'll be doing any maps for EQ2 since it is also obviously zone based.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:52 am   

You probably find that they took the name "Zugg" for the "Zugg-Zugg, Daboo" of the Warcraft... in fact I imainge there's probably Zug, Zugg, ZuggZugg, ZugZug, ZuggZugZugg, and a million other combinations of said Zuggness (and I know you pronounce it different but I think it's a common spelling for them warcraft orcses).
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:33 am   

Zugg wrote:

Oh, and if you see any character playing with the name "Zugg", it's an imposter. When I tried to create that character it told me that the name was already taken. So if you see someone in the game with this name, give them lots of grief, or turn them in for violation of the EULA since it states that impersonating someone else is against the rules. People who do this aren't worth playing with. Then again, maybe this is only a problem during the free open beta and won't be an issue when people actually have to pay to play.

I am going to try to do some math to show something odd Rolling Eyes.

'Z - u - g - g' consists of 4 letters. Having a nickname with as few letters as possible are often preferable(for some odd reason).

I think there would be about 21 * 5 * 21 * 21 = 46.305 permutations of length 4 that sound somewhat right. According to Google Internet has billions of pages. Which means... that the chances someone else has made up Zugg from scratch without ever knowing you is huge.

Then again if we look at the permutations of length <= 4 we get 21 * 5 * 21 * 21 + 21 * 5 * 21 + 21 * 5 = 48.615 nicknames. I suspect most people have nicknames with length of atleast 3 though. There are those nicknames that are way too short that they don't sound good for that reason.

Making up an unique, short, nickname today is pretty much impossible. Even the longer ones seem tough to come up with so often there's no idea to bother. Good sounding nicknames decrease the space of choices.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:20 pm   

True, but I'm guessing that someone did it on purpose. Rainchild might have a point with the Zug-Zug from the original Warcraft, but we all know that a lot of the people who play these games are MUDders. And I've had this same trouble in games other than WoW. But do a Google search on "Zugg" Wink
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:35 pm   

It's also possible that they named an orc NPC Zugg, in which case you probably aren't allowed the same name as a NPC... but yeah, its certainly possible someone flogged it, especially with the WoW age group. If they pwipe between open beta and game release you might be able to reserve it tho ;)
hebus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:03 am   

For wow, there are a bunch of online atlas
http://www.thottbot.com/ is a good one for all stuff.
and this one too: http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/waratlas/

And, if you are looking for something like Zexplorer, there is a cool utility here:
http://tixu.scribe.free.fr/indexen.php
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: