Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:13 am   

Hmm, can you tell there is a new version?

I'm wondering...how hard is it to tell that there is a new version of Zeus when I just replace the Announcement topic in the forum? Seems like it might be easy to miss the fact that the version has been changed. Any suggestions on a better way to announce new versions?
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:52 am   

Hmm..Don't change the topic, delete it and make a new one...that way it'll have the 'unread' icon?

Oh it does..lol...uhh...no clue.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:04 am   

There is an obvious solution to the problem Cool. Add an option to the forum that is called "Notify me on software updates". It might be a good idea actually to let the user specify what software he is interested in so something like:

Code:
[ ] Notify me when I visit the forum on software updates for
   [ ] zMUD
   [ ] zMapper
   [ ] all avaible software

(of course you make "all avaible software" the default setting Mr. Green)

Then when you visit the forum and if there are updates to software a popup window is shown with a list of avaible updates. Then if you click on one of the updates you would get moved to the update log, and file link for download.

Of course the popup should only be shown once for each update.

Another method would be to unsticky the old thread and post a new one. Perhaps even lock the old thread.
slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:58 pm   

Have public usergroups for each of the products in phpbb. When there is a new release, send a bulk email to those that signed up for that particular usergroup announcing the software is out. This way, those who want opted into announcements about products can get them and those who don't want them won't get them.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:27 pm   

Hmm, good idea slicertool! Do you know the details of how the email is sent out to the user group? I don't want to get flagged by my ISP or web hoster as a spammer. Some systems flag you if you send out too many emails with the same subject in a short period of time.

I *did* delete the old post and submit a new one. Apparently the "new post" flag doesn't work for Announcements. That might also be something I can fix.

Rorso, unless you know of a MOD pluging for phpbb that does something like that, I doubt I'll have the time to add that kind of custom feature to the forum. I'd like to try and stay with publically available MODs.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:58 pm   

Am I missing something? When I searched for new messages since last visit, I saw the announcement for the new version. My thought was that someone responded to an old post because, we just had a version come out not too long ago.

Then I read 1.04 and said, "Oh goody! New toy for tomarrow!"

Unless something special was done to make the announcement appear, my method of monitoring the forums worked just fine.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: