Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:28 am   

New Bug Tracking database online!

I have installed the Mantis bug tracking system for Zugg Software projects. I'd like people here in the Zeus/eMobius forum to test it out for me. If it seems to work well, then I'll make a general announcement in the main zMUD forum and use it for zMUD as well.

I have populated the database with most of the known bugs in zMUD.

I also created a TEST project that you can use the TEST/TEST username/password to play with if you want to see how the bug tracking system works.

Please start using this system for reporting bugs.

You will need to create a username for using the bug tracking system. Please use the same username as your forum handle. Do NOT use somebody elses handle. If I see someone abusing the system, I'll ban them from this whole site, so please be nice to others.

Everyone gets the access of "reporter" by default, which allows you to report bugs. If anyone (like the zMUD Gurus) would like to have a higher status, please send me an email.

Hope you like the new system. I played with it a while this afternoon and it seems very easy for me to use.

Oh, here is the link: Zugg Software Bug Tracking system
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:40 am   

Looks pretty nice.

Only suggestion I have is find a way to link forum signups to it. Especially if you find that the existing forums can be migrated easily. It would be nice to have a nearly seamless interface.

Actually another suggestion would be to try run 2 copies. One for eMobius and another for zMud and related products. As you said they don't really have the same market.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:19 am   

Unfortunately, there is really no way I can see to tie the forums with the bug tracking. Each system stored passwords separately. The new phpbb uses the same method for passwords, so it might be possible with the new forums (although migrating usernames to the new forums is also currently a question).

I don't really need to run two copies. I can just point the links from the various sites to different URLS that specify different default "projects" to display. There's no need for different databases or anything like that.

One thing I've already decided to change is to add more information to the basic bug report sheet. I want to add the Operating System and Version fields to the report and make them mandatory.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:03 pm   

Quote:
I don't really need to run two copies. I can just point the links from the various sites to different URLS that specify different default "projects" to display. There's no need for different databases or anything like that.

One thing I've already decided to change is to add more information to the basic bug report sheet. I want to add the Operating System and Version fields to the report and make them mandatory.

I started really getting into ZEUS and .zml file creation today. After running the demo.zml(browser) app, I navigated to a site and tried to enter information in a webpage textbox. Search engine terms for example. When I typed 'f', the file menu opened. I think the &ampXXX; syntax is bugged (I didn't touch the <ALT> key).

Came here to report this behavior on the new bug-tracking system, but I don't see a 'ZEUS/eMobius' header or section. I didn't want to mess up all the pretty zmud reports with this without finding out the correct way to report this.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: I didn't look hard enough the first time. Confused Embarassed I found the forum and jump controls in the upper right corner. I have reported the demo.zml behavior in the correct place now as far as I can tell.
Sorry for not exploring as well as I should have.

Possible suggestion: Other people may overlook those controls. It might benefit everyone if they were more prominent, or the different sections each had their own link.

Last edited by mr_kent on Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:40 am   

Does this actually work?

I keep getting the message:

SYSTEM WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/vhost/zuggsoft/public_html/mantis/core/html_api.php:139)

SYSTEM WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/vhost/zuggsoft/public_html/mantis/core/html_api.php:139)

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:00 pm   

Rainchild, what exactly are you clicking on to get those errors? I'm using the bug tracking system without any problem here.

The bug tracking user interface needs a bit of help for multiple projects. Yes, the project pulldown is not very obvious at all. I just haven't had time to work on this right now. I've got way too many other things taking up my time this month unfortunately.

All I did was modify the bug tracking system so that it could look up username/passwords for beta forum users to tie the two systems together. That was a lot of work itself. Since the system is basically functionaly, even if it's a bit hard to learn how to use, I probably won't be doing much work on it for a while. I really need to spend my time getting an actual eMobius email client written.

Btw, I reproduced the problem with the 'f' key in a web form. I have no idea why it's doing that. Looks like somehow the ActiveX control isn't getting the proper focus so the toolbar thinks it has the focus instead. Thanks for putting this into the bug database...it's going to be a tricky one to track down.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:59 pm   

I just went to the URL that you posted... http://www.emobius.com/mantis/login_page.php

Still comes up with that error. Curious.

I mean it doesn't really matter at the moment, but I was wondering if the system was any good ... work's pushing to get some bug and time tracking software online and I'm looking for one that can track bugs / projects and work out # of billable hours and unbillable hours for customers. *muttermumble* I hate timesheets.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:21 pm   

What web browser are you using? I just clicked on the URL you posted and it works fine here. Also, you might try clearing the cache in case you got a page stuck in your browser cache that has the error or something like that. You probably also need Javascript enabled, but you probably already need that for the rest of this site anyway.

Anyway, it looks like it's something specific to your system so I'm going to need more details.

I'm not sure if it has any billable hours features. I don't need that so I haven't looked for it. As a basic Free/PHP/MySql bug tracking system it seems to work fine for what I need. It handles multiple projects, and has a decent set of permissions and user-level categories for me to use. It has a good email notification system and is set up to handle a small workgroup where you can assign a particular bug report to a particular person. Seems to have lots of reports that I haven't even looked at yet. The user interface could use a bit of tweaking, but it's not bad and has been very useable so far. It's at least as useable as the "quickie" bug tracking database I put together for zMUD, which is all I needed.
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:41 pm   

This isn't browser or system specific - it's on the server. I'm positive it's not cached.
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:14 pm   

I'm only seeing this if I use IE. Firefox is working just fine. Strange!

Anybody tried with other browsers?
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:20 pm   

I get those errors for both firefox and IE

dartmud.com 2525
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:23 pm   

seems like the page is getting locked by the first user until that user exits the page, subsequent users to log on are not able to change the php file thus they cannot access the system. Zugg, try accessing the site from both your pc and your wifes pc at the same time.

dartmud.com 2525
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:43 pm   

No, it's something else. I cannot get in with Chiara's computer at all. No matter who is already logged in. But I can get in with my computer just fine with no problem at all.

My guess is that my system has some sort of cookie that allows it to work and Chiara's does not.

Sorry, but I'm not going to have time to fix this for at least a week. Life is crazy right now. Yet another broken system is definitely *not* what I needed right now.
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:21 pm   

It's not a logon issue as far as I can tell. Look at the error message: "Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/vhost/zuggsoft/public_html/mantis/core/html_api.php:139)" What this means (it's a PHP error, not a Mantis error) is that php will not allow you to send headers to the browser in response to a page request, start sending other page content, and then send more headers.

What it suggests is that there's an include file or something trying to set a cookie or initiate a re-direct, after the mantis/core/html_api.php file has already sent headers (probably other cookies) to the browser.

This is the result of either: Zugg putting an include file into the mantis system to create the zuggsoftware.com look and feel in the Mantis system, OR, a bug in the mantis system that they should have a fix for at their web site (I've never looked at it, couldn't tell ya).

Possible ways to fix it:
1. Force PHP to load pages in "buffered" mode (not sure what syntax/method/config is necessary for this) so that the whole page is composed on the server before any of it is sent to the browser - then html header operations are aggregated to the beginning of the buffer as it's sent. This is analagous to IIS/ASP's "response.buffer = true" option.

2. Take out any possible include that messes with headers that wasn't originally in the mantis system.

3. Seek a fix from the Mantis creators/maintainers.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:30 pm   

The problem is, as you say, related to outputting the header file for giving the page the standard zuggsoft.com header. The change to handle this was in the routine called html_body that outputs the <body> tag. After the body tag, the header file is included.

However, this is not where the error is flagged. Line 139 points to the line in the html_begin routine that outputs the <!DOCTYPE> tag. This should be the first tag sent out. But somehow, some cookie is being created somewhere and sent at the wrong time.

I'm sure it's related to the change I made for the zuggsoft stuff, but the code for Mantis is rather convoluted and a bit difficult to follow. That's why it's going to take some time.

Including the header after the <body> tag should *not* have caused this problem. However, I remember at the time that I had a lot of trouble because originally they were outputting a DOCTYPE of XHTML instead of normal HTML and this doc type was messing up the menu system used in the header file. In order to track down what was causing the menu system to not work, I put a lot of debug messages into the code, and my best guess is that it's something like this still hiding somewhere causing the problem.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:14 am   

Ok I just did a php refresher over the weekend, the error -

- means that because text has already been sent to the browser (I assume your !DOCTYPE stuff) it can't change the headers using the header( ) command. Usually you use the header( ) command to do a redirect or something eg -

header( "Status: 201 Created" );
header( "Location: " . $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"] );
exit;

- but if you have already echo'd or sent some of the page it can no longer change the headers because they got sent as soon as you did the first echo/send, so I suggest looking for 'header(' in the php source and make sure that any outputting you do, you do after all those header calls.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:01 am   

I think the error can also happen if you have something before the <?php tag. Like a space, or empty line, and then try to change the header inside the <?php ?> tags.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:32 pm   

I think I've fixed the error in the bug tracking system. It was something I added that checked the last project you were viewing. Apparently the "helper_get_current_project" routine has a side effect of creating a cookie if it doesn't already exist. By calling the gpc_get_cookie routine directly myself instead of using the helper function it now seems to work.

Give it a try and let me know.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:10 am   

Sweet, logged in fine :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: