Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Yodous
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:02 am   

Problem with zChat

Hello.
I have problem with zChat. I am able to connect to other people, but other guys can't connet to me. So I must have port 4050 blocked. I don't have any firewalls so I don't know how to change it.

The solution can be changing the zChat port (standard - 4050), but I can't find, where can I change it. Any ideas?
Ryntrax
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:29 pm   

How is your internet connection setup?

Router,Hub, proxy?
Yodous
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:47 am   

I have one computer connected to me. I don't have any other local net/web. So let's say that my computer is a Hub. I have my own IP etc.
The best way will be changing port for other people.
Maybe in new version of zChat will be possibility to do something like that.

But for now - any ideas?
Lirril
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:14 am   

This type of problem normally is because you would be behind a firewall, but since that's not the case ...

If you are able to call other people (presumably on port 4050), then this port isn't blocked. So it must be something else, I'm not sure what it might be though.

I understand that Zugg is not planning to release any more versions of zChat in the near future. At the moment, I'm not sure if changing your receiving port is possible. It's not in the options or ini file and doesn't seem to be hanging around in the registry.

If you are on a big game, sometimes people run a dedicated chat server which serves chat to other people (on the game, in your clan, guild or whatever). So everyone just connects to this and you don't have to worry about having people's IP addresses or anything.
Yodous
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:09 pm   

Yes, but other people are behind the mascarade and I was the server :)
Hmm, thx for answers, I will be still looking for a program that may be blocking me port 4050.. maybe some game do something like that.
Ryntrax
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:31 pm   

Firewall......I would presume. Are you using Win XP?
Yodous
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:33 pm   

I haven't any Firewall. A'im using Windows 98 SE.
Yodous
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:41 pm   

Ok, I have found the problem.
I'm using Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (in Windows 98 SE).
When I on the sharing - nobody can connect to me with zChat(I'm the root in that sharing), but when I off this sharing - my friends may connect to me. The results is that, the Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing blokcs some part of ports (I check this on the other chat, where I was able to change the port). So, the next question is - how to change the blocked ports, that I may on the Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing and use zChat (and other guys may connect to me). Any ideas?
broksonic62

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:48 am   

I too have been having connection problems with Zchat. Using port 4050 but i run XP Pro and it shows my firewall is NOT running.

Any possible ideas?

(am using a crappy internet connection (Wal-Mart, wmconnect.com) which i am NOT happy with.)
broksonic62

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:55 am   

addition to last message,, i get an error when trying to connect to other users.. it reads;
"Access Violation at address 77F526AB in module 'ntdll.dll'. Write of address 00403F79"

If that is any help to anybody.. (dont mean diddly to me)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: