Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mrdark
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:19 pm   

Zmud's Database

Ok, I played bit with some db-functions and i found out that the DB windows MUST BE OPEN for them to be executed properly. Dude? I don't want to see the stuff!
I just need some kind of sheet to some data for my scripts it.
So is there a way to 'access' the DB without being forced to have that stuff on the screen or elsewhere?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:03 pm   

No, there isn't. The database module is only loaded while the database window is open. That's also the only time that any of the commands and functions in the database module are needed. If you don't wish to see the database window, just minimize it or place it behind some other window.

Since you believe that there are some commands or functions in the database module which you have a use for without the database window open, please list some of them.

"sheet to some data for my scripts it" -- please explain this phrase, it totally baffles me.
mrdark
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:17 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by LightBulb

"sheet to some data for my scripts it" -- please explain this phrase, it totally baffles me.

gheghe .. 'a sheet to put some data in it' .. sorry Very Happy

allright .. it's pretty nonsense to let the user open that window just to enable the database backspace functionality .. hmm .. this concept is .. well .. not exactly what I call 'thought-out'

Then I gonna use that OleDB thing which is called ADO now and I better smash my data to a MySQL over ODBC or to a Access mdb file, rather then bugging with that annoying window. Maybe it takes more computing power but you don't need to concern whether your DB is on or off now when you start your script. AND you can export your data .. I didn't find out what format zmud uses to store the DB on disk . There're some *.db and *.dbd files which could be the 'MS Paradox' oder 'Berkeley DB' ones.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:20 pm   

I think the DB is propitary (pre coffee spelling) Zugg mentioned somewhere about changing this in a future version to Jet/Mdac Access DB type thing like how the map is. but I don't think he has any definate plans on when.

EDIT: Made myself a lil clearer :P
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:30 pm   

zMUD is built on a modular basis. Modules are loaded into memory as needed in order to conserve memory usage. You may not think this is the best way to program, but it certainly doesn't qualify as nonsense.

On the other hand, you are complaining about having to open the database window and yet you couldn't list even one database command or function which you need without a database open? That does seem like nonsense.

Your real complaint seems to be that you want to use the database without having a window assigned to it. Since the window is easily hidden from view, I don't see why it should be a problem but feel free to use external database programs if you prefer.
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:33 pm   

Simply use the little windowshade icon to roll-up the db window. This keeps it out of the way while keeping it open.
Ryntrax
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:34 pm   

If you have a decent computer and a non retard huge DB just pull it into an array when you log on. easier imho. little faster access stored as array to. i think
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: