Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
savanna
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:51 am   

How to utilize db?

Well,I have mapped the mud.So,the next step is to set up some db.
Virtually,I have a lot of questions.Let's one by one:)

1.I found map is a db as well due to click Map|View|spreadsheet view and then show us a view.What's the meaning of "Name", "IDName" and "UserStr" whose content is null in view?Could I add npc id or object id to it?

2.In general,how many db do players build up?To build up a npc db and an object db separately or to combine them in one db only?

3.Is it feasible to build up a task db with the field type "text"?My purpose is to build a text as "Could you give me a (%w)?" so that if boss said "Could you give me a sword?" and my db will search which one matchs the task and meanwhile assign the variable %1 to sword.Is it possible to achive in db or have to build up thousands of triggers instead, for instance #TRIGGER {^??Could you give me a (%w)?} {task=%1} and so forth.

3.There are four pivotal data in mud: task, room, npc and object.Do you think how many db would better to build up?And how to set up to let them work one another?
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:34 am   

1. The Map database and Zmuds Database are TWO differant types the Map is an MDAC/Jet database the spreadsheet view is just a view issuing SQL statements This allows you to use COM or Otherwise other neat things to access your map file Zmuds *.mdb files are viewable in MSACCESS 2k+
The (eq) Database I believe is Zuggs code and NOT MDAC/jet DB however this might change in a future version *at least I think I read that somewhere but I could be wrong*
The "name" Idname and userstr type fields are Fields in the Database for use with SQL statemends and such *rambles*
#HELP mapquery and its related helpfiles might offer a better explanation

2. You can have as many DBs as you want Well you could do ONE huge one its prolly better to do 3 or 4 diff ones IE mobs in one, EQ in another, Potions and such or whatnot Read up on the DB helpfiles the offer a bit to get you started

3. YES this is possible

4. You can only have 1 db loaded at a time (I believe this is the case) however you can switch between DBS at any time so you can query your tasks db to see if the task is allowed then load and query the object DB for the object or some such

Nexela is tired don't blame him :P If something is wrong someone please correct him
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:51 pm   

4. You can load as many DBs as you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: