Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Arian

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:42 am   

MCP Emulation compatibility

I have a question on MCP emulation. I have this feature activated, but can see no actual FUNCTION whether it is on or off. A fellow staff member suggested I try a program called BeipMU (v2.0 150 or higher). When I connect to the MUCK server (fuzzball 6.02 software), I see this line in the client.

%MCP Server Packages: org-fuzzball-gui dns-org-mud-moo-simpleedit org-fuzzball-simpleedit org-fuzzball-notify org-fuzzball-help mcp-negotiate

zMUD with MCP Emulation checked as on shows NO server packages upon connection.

When I execute the program editor in BeipMU, I see the following on the muck screen and notepad opens.

mcp-simpleedit Editing:"a program named mission-system-cleanup.muf(136964)" Type:muf-code

And the following lines when I exit notepad.

mcp-simpleedit Done editing, uploading changes...
mcp-simpleedit Changes uploaded

zMUD merely displays the normal text output of the program editor. Is the 'dns-org-mud-moo-simpleedit' package of MCP not supported in zMUD, or am I misunderstanding what/how zMUD implements MCP?

While I detest the look/feel of the other client, I've been using it for a short time and am amazed at the convenience of the editing feature. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer to get zMUD to function similarly.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:55 am   

Not sure if I understand this in my early morning coffee less times

to view MCP statistics

VIEW-> Statistics
Rutseg
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:39 pm   

Arian it's not speaking about the MCCP (Mud Client Compression Protocol) he's speaking abou MCP (Mud Client Protocol) more exactly about the editing utility.
I don't know if it's working or not but the features page of zMUD says explicity that it supports that utility of MCP. I'm interested on implementing it on my MUD, so any help about it is apreciated.
Arian

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:27 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Rutseg

Arian it's not speaking about the MCCP (Mud Client Compression Protocol) he's speaking abou MCP (Mud Client Protocol) more exactly about the editing utility.
I don't know if it's working or not but the features page of zMUD says explicity that it supports that utility of MCP. I'm interested on implementing it on my MUD, so any help about it is apreciated.

I don't think it is working, regardless of the features page. I even went so far as putting every setting, including colors, back to default installation and tried, but I see NO indication that it asked for/replied to the server negotiation to get installed packages, nor will the MCP Edit functions work.

I've pretty much switched clients until I can get a definitive answer on this...I prefer the look/feel of zMUD and have been with it since around the last free version, but I create/edit too many programs to give up the edit functionality now that I've experienced it. :)
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:25 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Arian

quote:
Originally posted by Rutseg

I don't think it is working, regardless of the features page. I even went so far as putting every setting, including colors, back to default installation and tried, but I see NO indication that it asked for/replied to the server negotiation to get installed packages, nor will the MCP Edit functions work.

I've pretty much switched clients until I can get a definitive answer on this...I prefer the look/feel of zMUD and have been with it since around the last free version, but I create/edit too many programs to give up the edit functionality now that I've experienced it. :)

I don't know much about how this protocol works but there are some details on how zMUD implements MCP located at: http://www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/mcp-dev.htm
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:25 pm   

I was hoping you'd get an answer from someone who actually uses MCP with zMUD. The only information I've found is in the Support Library under the topic MUD Client Protocol (MCP) implementation in zMUD. I haven't tried a search engine.

As near as I can tell from reading the article, you can get the list of packages on your server with the command (note that I changed the function, I'm pretty sure %mxp was a typo):
#SHOWDB %mcp("mcp-negotiate")

To use zMUD for editing with MCP, you'll probably need to have the Editor window open. Beyond that, it's not really clear how it works and I don't have anywhere to experiment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: