Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chris74269
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:17 am   

left-click commands

i was wondering if it was possible to make it so when you left clicked on the mud screen, to execute a command, mainly kill %selword, or examine/search %selword. it's annoying to have to right click all the time and would be very useful if there was a way to use the left-click instead
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:47 pm   

%selected it the highlighted word from a double left click if that helps, you could then use macros
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:01 pm   

This is easy. Just switch your mouse buttons to left-handed.
chris74269
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:55 am   

i think you misunderstood what i meant to do lightbulb, shalimar was a little bit on the right path, its not that i dont like using the right click, just that i want to be able to do a command right then and there, not have to right click the hit something on a menu
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:45 am   

you might want to look into making yourself some buttons then, they are quite versatile
chris74269
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:25 am   

well a button wouldnt really solve it, that would require making an insanely long list of monsters to populate a varible with. what i want to be able to do is click on the screen with a normal left click and have it send a kill command, also i want to be able to use this to examine/search objects in game while questing
an4rch1s7
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:38 am   

I belive there is a certain risk to what you want to do, imagine mis-clicking on something, and all of a sudden you attack a friend or npc that your not suppose to.

Also remember that in order to highlight something, like a pattern that you want to copy/paste into a trigger or something.. you would need to use the left click.

I think that would conflict with what you want to do.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:40 am   

using a single right click to define %selword, then use %selword in your buttons for killing or questing...
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:10 pm   

Alternatively, you might be able to make a trigger that uses MXP to convert text on the screen into "hyperlinks" that you can then click on to send commands to your MUD. I've been wanting to do something like this for buying/probing items in shops, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Using it for something aggressive could get you into trouble, though, as Shalimar said.
Kaputchnik
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:00 pm   

An alarm with 0.5-1 second interval, and then check %selected in the alarm trigger, and do the things you want. Might not be the best way but it worked when I tested
Pega
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:18 pm   

After reading the first message here, I tried using %selected for initiating commands. I found it laggy. I used the status prompt update, instead of an alarm, much more reliable. I think the laggy part is when choosing a word as a target, with all the checking involved to make sure i) it is a single word, ii) it is properly capitalized to recognise a target name, iii) saving the target name to keep track of changes for initiating commands on new targets. i) and ii), will eliminate single word uncapitalized aliases you typed in the command-line prompt which also goes into %selected.
chris74269
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:55 am   

i havent gotten involved in MXP but the whole hyperlink idea i like, im thinking that based on my mud output, heres an example:
You stand in front of a large reception desk at the western end of a
large room. Two doors lead off to the north and south, each with a
small plaque informing you of their contents. Along the front of the
curving desk is carved the studio logo and name: M.T.V - Moo-sic
TeleVision. The strip of carpet leading right up to the desk also
leads back east to the doors out of the building.
There are three obvious exits: east, south, north
Clover the Receptionist Cow [wounded].
Cowskin Boots.
i could make create hyperlinks for the words after the directions, but the problem is, as i said before is that i have no experience with MXP. any suggestions or examples of what should work to operate with a left-click?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: