Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Achu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:21 am   

I need to publish my mud? Help!

[:0]
[?] I was wondereing, I just set up a mud called Achu online and I need to exactly how many people can play on my mud at a time. And if it can be setup like Achea where it is a constant persitent world. Instead of a univerese broken down into "sessions"
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:57 pm   

quote:

Lets take a look at whats wrong with this post

1st. It doesn't belong here. This is a forum for and about Zmud not someones mud. Trying to advertise your Mu* in this way is likely to be deemed as spam.

Now if this post was in the correct forumn lets see what else is wrong with it.

1st. How do we go about getting to your MU* I do not see an address for it.
2nd. The Lack of info about your MU*. I for one would not be interested in your MU* because you don't explain WHAT the MU* is about. Alot of people pick one MU* and stick with it dipping into other Mu* that MIGHT draw their attention.
3rd. ....*rambles on some more*
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:46 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by nexela

quote:

Lets take a look at whats wrong with this post

1st. It doesn't belong here. This is a forum for and about Zmud not someones mud. Trying to advertise your Mu* in this way is likely to be deemed as spam.

I don't think he is advertising his MUD. He asked a question. Off topic it is but perhaps a zMUD user or a future zMUD user. It is quite ironic that often when you send someone to another forum you might later find yourself have to ask a question that is a bit off topic.

quote:

Now if this post was in the correct forumn lets see what else is wrong with it.

1st. How do we go about getting to your MU* I do not see an address for it.

He did not post that he has any intentions to have any players at all on the MUD. He asked how many players can play at the same time.

How many players that can play in a MUD depends on many things. One is what code base it is using. The reason for that is the time for various algorithms. In theory the code might be able to handle infinite amount of players but that doesn't mean you have infinite RAM/diskspace and it would be slow too.

It also depends on the socket implementation, and network speed. Then we also might have to consider the size of the MUD. If there are too few rooms then we could get too many players and fill those rooms pretty quickly. On the other hand if we have too many rooms the players will see a quite empty MUD Smile.

Also at the same time the amount of players grow so does the object count. Players like to hoard objects (for some odd reason). The more objects active at any time the slower it might run.

As a small side note. When starting a MUD you should ask yourself 'Why?'. Will your MUD be different than the other 1500 muds out there? Asking that question can save a lot of time and is also good for the MUDs as there's a lot of empty muds (many of which is more or less the same as the other muds).

To show an example of why it is important to ask this question I can mention how the MUD I play was a few years ago. It was very empty. 3 years or so later players finally began to enter. Earlier the amount of players were constantly very low. Actually it is still pretty low but much better than it was back then.

You'll meet players that tell you how bad the MUD is and how they can do it so much better. Amazingly enough these players often tell you this directly after they have logged in for the first time. Sometimes you'll be disliked because of some change that you made. Whatever you do someone will dislike it. To run a MUD is probably more tough than many think because you also have to realize that these problems increases as the popularity of the MUD increases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: