Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Vaserian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:42 pm   

Help with database basics.

Okay i will come out and say that i am by no means a good or experienced scripter. The majority of my learnings come from reading help files. What i am trying to do is create a database that automatically records all my character's statistics. I am not going to bore you with the details, because that's not why i'm here. I wish to learn how to do this.

At any rate i have read every help file i could find and did a pretty intensive search of the forums for info on this and can't seem to find anything. So what i really need is an example of how to input information into a database. A simple trigger. I'll even line you up with a scenario:

You look at Bob
Bob's level is 23

Say i have database xyz.db (dbd?) with the fields name and age. All i want is when my mud gives me the above text that it sticks 'Bob' in the 'name' field and '23' in the 'age' field.

Yes this is my big dilemma, i just can't seem to get the information transfer through my head and can't find out how to make it work. So sue me. I am fairly certain that once i understand the syntax of the very basics it will make sense to me. Thanks in advance!Smile
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:29 pm   

#TR {(%w)'s level is (%d)} {#NEW "" name=%1 age=%2}
Hilton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:16 pm   

Okay, this is the FOURTH time I'm writing this, thanks to the forum repeatedly buggering up my login...

You may want to consider a conditional trigger, particularily if you have to save more than one line, as you likely do. Consider:

#TRIG {You look at (&%wnew.name)$} {#CW red}
#COND {^%w's level is (&%dnew.age)} {#CW red}
#COND {^%w is wearing (&db.clothes)} {#CW red}
#COND {^~<*hp~>} {#NEW "" @new; #VAR new {}}

Now, each piece of data is saved directly to a record variable called "new" (@new), and each matching line is colored red (just to let you know it worked).
At the end, I placed a generic trigger to match a mud prompt (change to suit your needs), which saves the variable to the DB, and resets the variable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: