Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:53 pm   

Question!

This is probably the simplest question ever, and I'm sure I'll feel foolish when I find the answer.

I am trying to put together an alarm that displays a ZMud info message to me when the timed delay for a spell has run out and you can use it again. What is the easiest way to go about this? I have achieved limited success using a simple trigger that recognizes the casting text and executes #WAIT 50/#echo Summon timer reset!, but the WAIT command is not multi-threaded which means I can track only one timer without everything tripping over itself when the first echo executes.

Is it possible to work in multi-threaded timers using ALARM in the way that I have just described?

Bear with me. I only just registered ZMud and I'm new at this. [:p]
Yvves

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:41 pm   

Wait would be a bad idea, as it will "freeze" your character from doing anything, as I understand it. Try to look for a phrase that the mud echos to you when a spell runs out. For instance, if you have a fireshield on, it may say "The flames around you burn out." Set a trigger with the phrase being that (what the mud said to you) and then the action taken would be to cast fireshield. :P

Yvves
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:38 am   

Since #WAIT 50 is only 50 milliseconds (1/20th of a second), I can't really see the need for multiple threading. The shortest time allowed on an alarm is 501 milliseconds (just over half a second), so you'll need to use a multistate trigger for 50.
#TR {the casting text}
#COND {} {#ECHO Summon timer reset!} {Wait|Param=50}

For more information on Timers, Alarms, #WAIT, and the Wait Multistate see the article in the Support Library (Support link above).

Using #ECHO to initiate triggers is a bit clumsy. It's usually simpler to send the commands directly or use an alias.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: