Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
lei_kung

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:02 pm   

Suggestion for new program

I am completely ignorant of coding, scripting, building databases (and not very good at using them), etc. But I desperately want to learn how to do all this with zmud. I would like to suggest a tutorial program that can walk someone like me through all this, from utter novice to expert. This is a program I would be willing to pay for, so long as it didn’t cost more then zmud itself. If this already exists or if anyone out there is willing to help me in any way I would be grateful. For someone like me the help files help, forum, FAQ, etc. help some but not much. Thank you for your time and responces.

lei kung
hatespyware
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:21 am   

If you studied the included docs, you should be able to very advanced triggers and aliases. You should be able to capture just about any data that strikes your fancy and make aliases to compliment your gameplay (or at least know where to look for reference). Assuming you are still really in the dark... Look for ways to utilize zMud's features - start by making triggers to feed yourself when you become hungry, loot the corpses of things that you've killed, or wink at all the elves that walk by. Then, work on triggers that can capture and use data... automatically reply to tells or nod at people that nod at you or whatever. Expanding your skills this way may seem more natural to you than trying to absorb the whole of the documentation in one sitting. You should, however, still go back and read the documentation often. Each time you read it, you will glean more from it - espescially as your understanding of the topics becomes more sound.

Some MUDs seem to be more highly geared towards scripting, too. Multiplaying, on muds that allow it, can be a great way to develop your scripting abilities. Having to work out the best way of getting your party's cleric to spell everyone up or your druid to feed everyone would be challenging to anyone.

My last blurb will be on the use of the forums as a resource. I think you will generally find assistance to be abundant and fast, but I think that you need to be clear about what it is specifically that you hope to get from a post. You generally have to ask questions to get answers.

have fun

btw... you aren't leikung from bristelbane, are you?
lei_kung

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:18 pm   

not from bristelbane and thanks for the response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: