Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
lei_kung

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:56 pm   

Scripting help

Alright, I know nothing about scripting and the help files I read are confusing to me. I was wondering if there is any zmud scripting for super dumbies out there. I have been on this one mud for years now and still have a hard time finding/remembering the good gear so I need to write a script that will let me database items as I id them. Thank you for any help you can give.

lei kung
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:45 pm   

Database scripts are fairly advanced. Since you "know nothing about scripting", you should probably stick to entering information to the database manually while you learn how to write scripts with simpler applications, such as 'eating' triggers and 'spellcasting' aliases.

You can certainly use the Search link to look for database scripts here and in the Finished Scripts forum. However, unless you can find one which exactly matches your MUD and database, and does exactly what you need, you probably won't be able to modify one without having a fairly good knowledge of how scripts work.

The first place to look for "zmud scripting for super dumbies" is in the zMUD help files. The Getting Started section contains several brief but informative explanations of how to use the simpler commands along with many useful examples. The helpfiles for the actual commands usually include additional examples.

Another place to look is the Support Library section of this site. And, of course, the General forum itself answers many basic questions over and over again so that anyone who makes a habit of reading the posts can quickly learn quite a lot.
Arcane_of_Discworld
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:52 pm   

I doubt anyone will be able to help you very much unless you provide a lot more information than you have done thus far. I would recommend that the minimum amount of information required to assist would be:

• Name and address of the Mud you play on
  • The command you use to examine / id gear.
  • Examples of item information that results from the examine / id command.

Hope this helps..

Arcane [:o)]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: