Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

MSar
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:36 pm   

More Map-Directions?

Hi Folks,

I cannot determine, if it is possible to use more directions in mapping than the ones provided already by ZMud.

The background is, that some muds I am playing use directions like northup, i.e. moving north and up simultaneously. Would be nice, if one could map that automaticly.

Cheers
Msar
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:54 pm   

This is really a question for the zMUD forum, not zMapper. In zMUD, you can define custom directions in the View/Directions dialog. However, the directions like "northup" are not defined directly for the mapper. A room can have any number of nonstandard directions, however. What you would need to do for those special rooms is type:

>northup>north

to make a link called "northup" and have the new room created to the north. Then use the Edit/Move menu to move the room to the level above. Once the room is set up, then just typing "northup" in the room will move you to the correct location. So, you just have to use a couple more manual steps when initially creating the map. Once the map is created then using it for speedwalking and stuff works just like normal.
MSar
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:50 pm   

Hi Zugg,

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

This is really a question for the zMUD forum, not zMapper. In zMUD, you can define custom directions in the View/Directions dialog.

I asked here, since in the toutorial for the zMapper you gave directions on how to set up hexagonal rooms. and since the moving of the "tilted directions" is also changed, i thought this might be the right place.

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

However, the directions like "northup" are not defined directly for the mapper. A room can have any number of nonstandard directions, however. What you would need to do for those special rooms is type:

>northup>north

to make a link called "northup" and have the new room created to the north. Then use the Edit/Move menu to move the room to the level above. Once the room is set up, then just typing "northup" in the room will move you to the correct location. So, you just have to use a couple more manual steps when initially creating the map. Once the map is created then using it for speedwalking and stuff works just like normal.

These "tilted directions" are quite common in german muds when describing mountanious areas. There then exist rooms with several exits into one direction, like "south, southup and southdown".
Using special exits here will become quite irritating since if every exit of a room, is a "tilted direction", you don't see, which rooms are connected especially when there are more adjanced rooms then exits, e.g. room 1, northup, room 2, sw, room 3 (serpentines). Room 3 is westup from room 1, but the are not connected directly. But since all rooms only have special exits, you have difficulties to see, which are connected.

So your only reccomendation is to use special exits? Ok, I will see, how fine it works.

Cheers,
Msar
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:25 pm   

Yep, for now zMapper *does* handle this, but zMUD does not. In zMapper when you set up a direction in the Options dialog, you actually specify the Delta X,Y,Z value for the direction. But in zMUD you can't do this yet. It should be something that gets added to the next version when it includes the new mapper code, so you might also just want to wait a couple weeks for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: