Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Psymon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:08 pm   

Connection Problems

This is a complex problem....and it has me and everyone I've asked so far baffled.

When I run Zmud I cant connect to ANYTHING. Cant connect to the lisence server, cant connect to the mud, cant even connect to localhost.

I'm on a LAN, I know I have the proxy settings correct and there isnt a firewall in the way: Everything else works.

Zmud however insists I'm not connected to the internet. The error occurs instantly rather than timing out. I've tried reinstalling and several different versions with the same results. Anyone any ideas?

(Sorry if someone already posted, but I cant find anything like this in my brief search)
Backu
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:11 am   

Hrm... on a LAN, and can access webpages apparently.... is the system directly connected to the internet even using a proxy? I have a LAN network as well, my system runs Software Firewall, but not proxy, not necessary, and my wife with her laptop is able to connect to everything as well. (BTW, my system is directly connected, and has Inet sharing enabled with DHCP and Routing.)
Psymon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:51 pm   

As I say, everything else works fine....and Zmud instantly spits back errors.

I'm used to things trying for at least a second before failing (ie when I've pulled out the cable or something)

its bizare.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:46 pm   

"not connected to the Internet" is an eLicense error. Your firewall/proxy is probably blocking the eLicense programs from contacting the eLicense server to obtain a license.

You'll probably need to contact [url="mailto:support@elicense.com"]eLicense support[/url]. You might also want to send an info copy to [url="mailto:support@zuggsoft.com"]Zuggsoft support[/url]. Additional information can be found in the Support Library under zMUD FAQ and eLicense FAQ, and on the eLicense website, http://www.elicense.com/UserSupport, in their FAQ.
Backu
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:22 am   

LB, pay attention to what he says, he can't access ANYTHING... eLicense was just 1 thing he mentioned, he also can't connect TO THE MUD HE PLAYS
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:33 am   

You may be right, I might have misunderstood. If so, Psymon can and probably will say so. I'm not interested in arguing with you, that doesn't help Psymon. If you must argue please start a separate topic instead of hijacking Psymon's.

Psymon
The only time zMUD attempts to contact the eLicense server is to license or unlicense. When zMUD isn't licensed, it stops loading at the license page unless you're in the trial period. Since you mentioned that you are unable to contact the license server, I assumed you have an unlicensed copy which you attempting to license. If you are still in the trial period, you could open zMUD anyway.

If zMUD stops at the eLicense registration screen and says you are "not connected to the internet", it means that you (or the LAN host) have blocked the eLicense services from reaching the internet and the eLicense server. This may mean that your proxy settings are wrong, or it might mean you or the LAN host has denied them permission to access the internet, or you may have denied permission to use the ports they want to use. You also might need to use an administrator account for licensing. See MattLofton's reply to Can't run zMUD, it's about the sixth or seventh.

If you get past the license page and open zMUD, then eLicense is done. If you then can't connect to a MUD, either your proxy settings are wrong, or you've denied zMUD permission to use the internet/intranet, or you've blocked the ports zMUD wants to use.

If you have both symptoms, because you're still in the trial phase, then it's still probably your proxy settings, or your permissions, or needing to use an administrator account. And yes, I know you said your proxy settings are correct. It's frequently the things we "know" are correct, and therefore don't check and doublecheck, which turn out to be the problem.
Psymon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:01 pm   

Well....turns out it was Zone Alarm being wierd.

I had told it to let Zmud through (Im not THAT stupid thank you) however it was still blocking it.
Somehow the GUI and the engine stopped talking to each other. I thought I was killing the entire thing when I was just killing the GUI. (Hence why I didnt think it was ZA causing the problem) As well as the fact that it wasnt letting Zmud through even after I told it to.

anyway, short version - I reinstalled zone alarm and now it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: