Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Beneficia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:37 am   

Zmud Error - Scrollbar property out of range

I am using version 6.53 and got hit with major error(s) today. The most crippling of these is the 'scrollbar property out of range' error, which spams my screen every time that anything occurs on my screen or if I try to do anything in-game. I counted 40 some error message boxes the last time I attempted to log in to see if my problem had magically disappeared before I was able to log off again. *grins, blushing at her wishful thinking and knowing her cover is blown and you all see she is not technologically sophisticated* In any case, the error is so so relentless that it is rendering me relatively useless and unable to communicate or engage in productive activity other than closing error boxes as quickly as I can....

Other problems have surfaced out of the blue today, and may or may not be related to this error message, including:

1. The icon section of the tool bar on top of the screen disappeared, leaving only the written pull-down taskbar (file, edit, view, etc).
2. When I type, it does not bring me down to a new line so that I can see my text. In other words, as I write, it just continues to input it on that one line set aside for typing and soon I am unable to see the sum of what I have written.
3. Once I press enter, and send that information into the game, I am unable to access it. I cannot use the arrow keys to scroll up or retype something recently said/done.
4. The trigger, logging and parsing icons in the lower right corner are decreased in size and pushed further over into the lower righthand corner.

In case someone is wondering why I have not upgraded, let me field that question right here and now. Firstly, I was told the upgrade was still under-going testing and subject to bugs and, being the technophobe that I am, decided that was not for me. Then, later I heard a rumor or two that upgrading led people to lose their pre-set triggers and such and I did -not- want this to occur to me, although some would argue that my 'system' could use such an overhaul.

Any suggestions about how to fix the problem(s)?? It would surely be -most- appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:07 am   

First of all, DON'T LOGIN to your MUD! Until you've got this fixed (or need to test a fix), the less input the better. Use the Offline button instead.

Most of these "errors" are related to Preferences, so your Preferences probably got messed up somehow.

I think the Scrollbar Property error is related to the number of scrollback lines. This is controlled by the 'Memory' settings. Go to View|Preferences|Memory and insert reasonable values. I think the default value is 1000, use that for all three settings if you don't have another number you know you've been using. If that doesnt' fix it, try deleting setting.dok from your zmud directory. After that, try deleting zmud.ini from the zmud directory. Naturally, you should make backup copies before deleting them.

The other "errors" are all Preferences. To fix them, go to the View|Preferences|General page and enable 'Main Toolbar'. Expand General and go to the Command Line page, enable 'Wordwrap command line'. On the same page, set the 'History Size' to a reasonable number (default is 20). I've never run into the command-line icons shrinking, but it may be related to the other problems and fix itself. It also might be result from having 'Clock' disabled on the General|User Interface page.

It's usually not a good idea to base decisions on rumors. You can usually find reliable information right here. I can't speak for everyone, but I didn't lose any pre-set triggers and such. The upgrade, version 6.62, is definitely not undergoing testing. It's the version you're using, 6.53, which is a 'testing' (beta) version, whereas 6.62 is a public release. And it's also your version which has a built-in expiration date (no, I don't know what that date is), after which it will be unusable and you'll have to either upgrade or downgrade to a previous public version, if you have one. Personally, I'd recommend upgrading.
Beneficia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:16 am   

Lightbulb - Thank you -very- much for the help! As a result of following your instructions, I lost the error messages and all but one problem has been resolved. The only thing that's still glitchy at the moment is that the icons across the toolbar are invisible. They seem to be present and functional - and when I run my mouse across them, a little box shows up and the title of the icon shows up, i.e., Aliases. Other than that, all is well and back to normal.

I have yet to figure out how in the heck I lost all my settings... The memory was at 20 lines, somehow. The clock was disabled. History size was at zero. Wordwrap was off... Etc, etc.... No one else gets on this computer other than I, and I am just at a loss as to how this happened.....

In any case, I am taking your advice and looking at it being time to upgrade.

Any advice on the icon problem would be greatly appreciated. The true purpose of this post, however, is to thank you muchly for your sound - and effective - aide. Thanks to you, I don't have to take up board games and puzzles just yet *grin*
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 pm   

You probably ought to run a virus check.

I'm not sure about the icons, but you can try this:
Move the mouse to where a button title shows up.
Right-click -- select Both and Visible

If necessary, select Customize (this is a system file, global.mud, and you should make a backup before making changes)
Go to the Position/Size tab, select Auto size and Auto position
(Defaults should be Width: 48 and Height: 23)
Go to the Advanced tab and check Explorer Style and Icon on Top. Bitmap Margin: should be -1.
Bitmap File: Hopefully, you won't need to change this, but if you do
Click the dropdown button, this should bring up a window full of icons.
(Mine are laid out in a 12x12 display, and I'll refer to them as 4x2 which means fourth row and second column. Descriptions are mine)
Button......Bitmap File...ROWxCOL...Description
Chars.......CHAR..........4x2.......Green man
Settings....ALL...........1x11......Checked page
Classes.....FOLDOPEN......7x2.......Open folder
Aliases.....ALIAS.........1x10......Blue abc
Variables...VAR...........12x5......Blue @A
Paths.......RUN...........10x3......Man with dashes behind him
Triggers....TRIGGER.......11x11.....Pistol
Macros......KEY...........7x10......A on shaded keyface
Buttons.....BUTTON2.......3x8.......Blue Ab on raised box
Prefs.......PREF..........9x11......Red checkmark in box
Map.........MAP...........8x6.......Blue minimap
DB..........BOOK..........3x2.......Blue closed book
Quit........EXIT..........6x9.......Post with dot
Beneficia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:34 pm   

Thank you, Lightbulb, once again... The right click worked to restore the icons, thankfully...

One more small glitch has shown up. I have wrap-around text again. However, when I copy something from the screen and put it in the type box, it has a semi-colon (;) in it. This is new and different....

I have run a complete virus check twice and ensured that my anti-virus program (AVG) is up to date. However, I am now thinking it may be time to consider a second anti-virus program or something.... Yikes... This is -not- something I want to hear as a possibility, but it seems I have to.

Thanks again for all of your help!
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:45 am   

This is another Pref. General|User Interface page, Multiline Paste.

If your anti-virus program is up-to-date and doesn't show anything, it probably isn't a virus at fault. It was just a possibility that I thought you should check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: