Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Angelo33

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:14 pm   

Old Zmud+XP?

I had ME on my old computer and the free Zmud from the site seemed to work fine, but when I bought my new computer, it has XP on it and I get this error message saying "cannot run 16-bit window" or something like that. Does anyone else have this problem? I also checked out the FAQ section and it seemed to have something that related to my problem but when I tried how to fix it, it wouldn't work. I'd appreciate it if one of you guys could help, thanks.
Angelo33

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:16 pm   

sry, it said I had an error sending it or something and I accidently did it twice. oops
Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:02 am   

Pretty simple actually.

Long answer
The version (3.62) of zMUD you are trying to use is a 16bit application originally intended for a 16bit operating system such as Windows 3.1. Previous 32bit versions of Windows (9x/ME) allowed 16bit applications to run for compatibility. Windows XP is based on the NT kernel and thus will not allow a 16bit application to run because in this version of Windows, stability rather than compatibility was preferred.

Short answer
zMUD 3.62 will not run under Windows XP, even using compatibility modes.

quote:
Windows 95 (n) - 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: