Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:18 pm   

How do *you* use zChat?

Hello Smile

I saw a thread about zChat and got curious about how people use it. Like why zChat over ICQ, and most muds I know of have abilities to send messages through the game.

It seems as if the usage of zChat is really limited except when having a lan where it is very valuable Very Happy.

So what fun ways of using zChat have you found?
Amfitrion
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:52 am   

On DuneMUD, there are times when you are attacked and can't talk or send a message that you are being attacked. zChat provides a nice workaround from within zmud, without the need to switch to AIM/ICQ.
Lirril
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:22 pm   

zChat is scriptable from within zMud, so if your Mud does not support whatever group reporting features you desire, you can write your own. (eg if you are in a group of people xping, you can set up zChat to report your hitpoints etc in pretty colours etc so that they are easier to pick out from regular Mud text). This would be difficult to do with ICQ for example.
Also, as previously mentioned, some muds don't support easy communication between friends, so if you had a number of friends in different clans say, you might want to be able to chat to them without having to rely on the muds commands (some of which will not allow you to talk at certain times, or to certain people eg Avalon).
In addition, zChat should be faster as it's peer to peer, so say I'm in the uk and I want to chat to another friend in the uk, but we're playing on a us server, if we use the mud to communicate the message has to travel all the way to the US and back instead of just a couple of hops.

Using zChat allows you to send messages which may exceed the 'tell' limits on your mud too, and control how they appear (so you can make tables of items with newline chars etc).

I'm sure there are other reasons too...

- Lirril
Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:07 pm   

I use zChat to report such things as my current whereabouts, health, etc. When I enter/leave a Chaotic Player Killing area. When someone backstabs me, or if I have it enabled, when I backstab someone else. Things like sanctuary fading, being dispelled, etc.

All of this and more.

--

Carabas - Backstab Report: [TRIPLE] [3/3] [5.0|5.0|5.0] [Twist:3x] [A Big Giant Ugly Thing] [ICED] [FIRESHIELDED] [DAM:0] [Somewhere in Nowhere's Land]
Current Status: [Protection: Sanc:Fading] [HP:781] [LPK]
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:16 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Carabas

I use zChat to report such things as my current whereabouts, health, etc. When I enter/leave a Chaotic Player Killing area. When someone backstabs me, or if I have it enabled, when I backstab someone else. Things like sanctuary fading, being dispelled, etc.

All of this and more.

Sounds nice but why not create a window within zMUD to report such things?
redmop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:48 pm   

When you create a window to do it, only you can see it. Where zchat shows that information to anyone you are connected to, if you set up the propper triggers and/or let them snoop you.
Fastidious
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:30 am   

Anyone know of like a hub of just mudders on zchat? I would assume atleast one is out there heh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: