Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:02 am   

New forum feature requests

Hi Darker!

Thanks VERY much for the work on the forum upgrades. It looks very nice. I need to look into why the stylesheet for the menu pulldowns is messed up...don't think any of us touched that...wierd.

Anyway, I've come across my first "mod" requests for the new forums:

1) When there are several pages of topics, it gives a simply pull-down menu to select which page of Topics you want to see. I would really like to see a "Next" link that just displays the next page to avoid the additional mouseclick involved with the menu. Yes, it's minor, but I kind of miss having all of the page numbers just listed as straight links that can be clicked on.

2) Didn't we remove the "Moderators" list in the main forum list at one point in the past? Doesn't seem like we need to see that all the time.

That's it so far, but I've just started playing Wink

Great job!!!!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:09 am   

Thought of another one:

3) Ability to change background color of "sticky" topics like we used to with "Excellent" posts.

4) Oh, yes, can we still have "excellent" posts? Do people think we still need this?
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:51 am   

2) They were visible in the previous version of the forum too, but only to Admins. But if it is removed, I don't mind - less screen clutter for me. Smile
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:15 pm   

I was used to always seeing that moderator list, so it didn't look any different to me. I created a "test" user though just to look at the forums from a non-guru point of view. If you'd like to try it, log in as MumboJumbo (password=Jumbo)

The other feature requests are certainly possible, but at 7:30 last night I was an hour past when I told my wife I'd be done, and she was getting pretty annoyed with me, so I threw the forum up as fast as I could, made sure the beta/dev applications worked, and turned off the computer before getting to finish everything I wanted to.

I don't think Excellent posts are as necessary anymore as they used to be. We might as well just make them sticky for a short while, because once they're off the screen, nobody really looks for them. I can't tell you the last time I marked a post as "excellent" on the other system.

I'd like to change the color of sticky posts, as well as the text "sticky:" that appears in the list with them. I think with the color change, the "sticky:" text won't be necessary at all. Opinions?
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:36 pm   

It would definitely be better with a different color and not the "sticky:" text. They also no longer appear in the Active Topics page. I don't know if someone will miss them, I'm fine either way.
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:02 pm   

The "Sticky:" text is gone, and I've put in a gruesome green color (#00ee00) to highlight them. I chose that horrid green mostly because the text on top of it was readable. I'm open to suggestions.

And no, I haven't seen The Hulk.

quote:
Originally posted by Kjata

It would definitely be better with a different color and not the "sticky:" text. They also no longer appear in the Active Topics page. I don't know if someone will miss them, I'm fine either way.

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:12 pm   

Eeew, it's a pretty nasty color. Can you add it to the list of colors that can be changed in the Admin page so I can play with it? I didn't see anything there, so didn't know if you hard coded it or something.

Don't get me wrong...I *really* appreciate the work on the forums that you did this weekend. I definitely don't want to get you in trouble with your wife. None of the tweaks are really high priority at this point. And I know the troubles with the server on Saturday morning were very annoying.
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:40 pm   

It is hard coded, but it's only in one file. If you feel like editing forum.asp you can search & replace the color string above with whatever you want.

Adding it to the Admin is a good idea, but I was after fast, not good. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

Eeew, it's a pretty nasty color. Can you add it to the list of colors that can be changed in the Admin page so I can play with it? I didn't see anything there, so didn't know if you hard coded it or something.

Don't get me wrong...I *really* appreciate the work on the forums that you did this weekend. I definitely don't want to get you in trouble with your wife. None of the tweaks are really high priority at this point. And I know the troubles with the server on Saturday morning were very annoying.

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:14 pm   

OK, I think I figured out how the admin stuff works. I added a new variable to the CONFIG_NEW table called STRSTICKYCELLCOLOR and then modified the config.asp file to load the strStickyCellColor variable. Modified the admin_config_colors.asp to show the new color, then modified the forum.asp file and replaced the 00ee00 color with the strStickyCellColor. I've got it set as "LightBlue" right now but feel free to suggest a different color.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:46 pm   

I've added some additional page navigation to the topic list. You'll see Next/Prev links at both the top and bottom of the list next to the drop down boxes. Also, at the top you'll see something similar to the previous forums listing the previous and next 5 pages of topics, along with the first/last page as needed. This should help with people like me who don't like the dropdown box, and doesn't take up any additional vertical space on the forum list.

So, except for transferring the beta/dev forum permissions, I think we are set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: